Thursday 21 November 2019

Teacher's College and the Holland Landing Experience

In a previous post, I confessed that I got side-tracked immediately after graduating from Queen’s, chasing a fun job rather than a career, and was denied the first time I applied to Teacher’s College because I lacked experience in an educational setting. The truth of the matter was that I had helped fund the cost of university by working in a waterfront restaurant/bar called Pumpers. That experience would eventually lead me to move across the City Hall courtyard to the Prince George Hotel when owner Paul Brown hired me to be assistant manager with promotions as a focus. That 2-year experience led to A LOT of late-night carousing, celebrity hobnobbing (it was Kingston … Kirk Muller & the NJ Devils, Dan Ackroyd & the cast of Ghostbusters, The Tragically Hip, etc. were a part of it), partying and schmoozing. It was awesome and lead to some incredible experiences, but I quickly figured out it was not a career.

I solved the lack of experience in education problem when I heard about, and successfully gained admittance to, a program in Kingston that allowed me to volunteer at Loyalist Collegiate (LCVI) as Jr Football and Sr Basketball coach. It was an interesting year that resulted in some friendships that have lasted through the years, but the details are a little sketchy because I was working at the PG which required a lot of late nights and my sleep-deprived brain just didn’t latch onto a lot of memories.

This post is about Teacher’s College and not LCVI so enough about my memory issues so I'll keep going. I was able, with a little help from an old friend of my father’s, to gain admittance to York University’s TC program and ended up at their satellite campus in Newmarket, being held at the old Town Hall. Being relatively young, I charged ahead without a lot of thought dedicated to the details. I accepted, paid and then thought, “I need a place to live!” Joyce and I were blissfully living in sin at the time and she thankfully agreed to make the move. I hopped in the truck one day, drove to Newmarket and found out quickly that (a) there weren’t a ton of places in there to rent and (b) we couldn’t afford the ones I found. As a fluke, I saw an ad for a place in Holland Landing … Where the heck is Holland Landing? It would turn out to be a small community north of Newmarket and the apartment was the bottom of a gargantuan home in a pricey subdivision that was recently built there. The owner, as it turned out, was the developer of the subdivision and the apartment was HUGE for not a lot of money. SOLD! Now to convince Joyce! Thankfully, I had been good enough of a partner that she trusted me sufficiently to agree.
SIDENOTE: The owner was an interesting fellow who was bespectacled tinkerer, and who’s glasses kept sliding off his face. He solved the problem by creating these soft rubber things that slid onto the arms of the glasses. He called them “Grabbers” and gave me some to try … I still have them! Well, if developing a subdivision didn’t line his pockets enough, selling 3 million Grabbers (not a typo) to the military didn’t hurt either. He was definitely an interesting dude!

Although I didn't consider myself "old", I quickly found out that I was older than most of the teacher candidates, so a group of us formed a merry band of Old Farts and set about dealing with the youngsters. We had a lead instructor that was definitely primary focused as she confessed that she and her hubby’s favourite activity was to lie in bed and read, out loud, to each other. Let’s just say that my varsity athlete experience prepared me a little differently, resulting in a look of incredulous wonderment becoming permanently etched on my face.

In the end, the Old Farts survived and the decisions about teaching placements rolled around. As it turned out, this satellite campus was closely linked with the York Region Catholic DSB so my placement was at one of their elementary schools called St Elizabeth Seaton in a Gr 6 classroom. Although religion was present in my childhood home, it was not a major component, and I was raised United since my father was raised Catholic and my mother was raised Anglican. They figured it was a good compromise. I had been the dutiful son who attended Sunday School up to, and no further, than the time I was permitted to make the choice on whether or not to attend. I had stuff to do on Sunday! Teaching was easy but teaching religion, especially Catholic religion? Well, that was harder. I had to get some help. I found that help in the form of Father Stephen at St Christopher’s in Newmarket. Through the school, I approached Father Stephen about adult catechism, and he was most gracious in accepting my sad case, once I explained what was going on. I admit that I started out with getting some help to teach plus getting my papal reference in case I wanted to stay with the Catholic Board, but I was surprised to find that my interactions with Father Stephen were creating a sense of belonging. I should point out that Father Stephen thought it best that we do the catechism one on one … Not sure why since it was usually done as a group, but I didn’t complain because it meant that I met him at the rectory every Tuesday and we generally just chatted about the history of Catholicism, other sects that split off and what place religion would play in my life. I would learn that Father Stephen was a unicorn … He was one of, if not only, married priests with children. His story was that he was raised Jesuit and at some time in his early adult life, left for the Anglican church where he married and had kids. A change of heart resulted in a return to the Jesuits and, somehow with his family in tow, he became the Father with a wife and kids. Through it all, it meant that I could teach my students about religious topics like the Beatitudes with some sense of competency. In the end, as you already know, I decided on the Simcoe County DSB which, of course, was not Catholic. I will be forever grateful to Father Stephen for helping!

When it was all said and done, I lived up to the old saying my father used to share. He would often preach to his four boys that the key to anything worthwhile was not to be number one (although that was tolerated in athletics … Ha Ha) but to finish what you start. He would say, “You know what they call the student who graduates last in his med class? Doctor!” I was that through and through … I received my teaching certificate standing firmly in the bottom third of my class. Any who cares? I was hired the next month and the beginning of 29 years of education bliss began.

No comments:

Post a Comment