Wednesday 22 January 2020

I never realized how much it meant ...

It's early evening, I've got my trusty laptop in its place, Joyce hasn't made it home yet, and I'm reviewing the day's events in my head. What a surreal feeling to have arrived at the end ... I taught my last classes today and I'm a little emotional about that. I can vividly recall the same basic scenario after my first day of teaching back in 1990, prognosticating all of the crazy things that I would get myself into ... which I did ... often ... and the end finally arrived.

What a wonderful day it turned out to be. We have an unbelievable program at North, led by an even more unbelievable teacher named Dave Emslie, where students learn all there is to know about broadcasting the school's news LIVE each day. This semester's crew created a goodbye video that they played today and I am astounded by the number of students who made the effort to wish me well and thank me for making North a great school. Many of them were kids that I never had the privilege of teaching, but passed in the hallways often, usually sharing a smile and a, "Hey, Sup?" I had a former student present me with a full sized sheet of bristol board, green no less, signed by many students with lots of little messages. To top it off, my HPE colleagues surprised me with balloons, cake, certificate and cap + gown to honour my "graduation". I don't mind sharing with you that I sat in the parking lot tonight for a moment and counted my blessings before pointing homeward.

I can't repeat it often enough, but the staff and students at North really made me feel welcomed, wanted, and worthwhile during these last few years. With all of the hoopala of retirement, I have contemplated what could have been, had the landing been one of the other SCDSB schools, and I have to say that choosing North was a wonderful stroke of brilliance on my part. To all who were a part of that and may read this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Please know the profound effect it has had. A special tip of the hat to the HPE department at North ... Incredible human beings!

People have asked often, "Are you excited?" Of course the answer is yes, but also intimidated. I have reached out to a number of my colleagues who are in a similar time of life, some ready to leave, some hanging on for another wee while, and I finally understand what a few said about loosing a little bit of who you are when you finally leave. I chose teaching (and coaching) oh so many moons ago because I felt strongly motivated to pay it forward in honour of all those wonderful influences that helped me become a greater version of myself. I now can appreciate WHY they did it, what their motivation was, what was going through their minds. Helping others makes you feel like the proverbial "million bucks", fills you with an endorphin rush so exhilarating that it tingles, and touches you deep down in your core. The cost (there's always a cost) of this is the imprinting that occurs as a result of the selflessness, tying some of what you do to the person that you are, creating a sense of worth that is directly connected to being a teacher. When you retire, you lose a little of that, and that can be a source of trepidation and anxiety. TBH, I believe whole-heartedly in the good that I have accomplished during those 30 years and I face my new experiences with eagerness and excitement, but it would be a lie to say that I won't miss the daily interactions with students and colleagues.

I still have a few days of work left. They will be filled with culminating activities, grade crunching, some calls to homes with unfortunate news that not enough was accomplished to warrant earning the credit, and packing up ... like the late George Carlin says ... My Stuff. There will come a time, in the not so distant future, where I will hand over the true essentials of the job ... my photocopy fob, my laptop, and my keys ... and I will leave the building one last time, likely with a tear hanging wistfully to a bottom lash. I am damn proud of the job I've done! I feel awesome about what I have surmised is just shy of 8000 young people I have come in contact with over those years, be it teaching, coaching, organizing, convening and counselling.

An ever present tune loops in my brain ...
Recorded by the band Steam ...
"Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye."

No comments:

Post a Comment