Friday 21 February 2020

We lost a good soul ... and I'm sad.


I got a punch straight in the gut earlier this week. Not literally, but figuratively, when a colleague texted me with the news that one of my students from my last semester was killed in a fluke accident. I have written at length about why I chose teaching and the great relationships that grew out of the time my students and I spent together, but every now and again, I meet a young person who leaves an indelible mark due to a deeper connection. Mark Ramolla was one of those youngsters.

In the words of a colleague, Mark's Gr 8 teacher Ross Hreljac, "Mark Ramolla was charismatic. He was genuine. He had a smile, a laugh, and a sense of humor that drew people to him. Mark had a kind heart and always stood up for his friends and anyone else he felt needed his protection. Mark had broad shoulders and would always carry the load for his friends. He would do anything for them. Mark was by no means an ideal student ... in fact, school did not really fit Mark. His skill set and passion lay outside of the classroom. That being said, Mark wanted to succeed. He was passionate about everything. He absolutely beamed when he experienced success. He beat himself up when he didn't. He ALWAYS cared."

Mark and I shared a semester of HPE together. Echoing what Ross said, Mark was a larger-than-life personality, an early maturing strapping lad who had a competitive streak but also loved to laugh, actively seeking the fun in life, fostering his friendships passionately, and always at the ready to protect peers being wronged.

That glowing tribute aside, Mark was challenging to the adults in the room because of a devilish side that was in full view as he pushed the envelope of tolerance, often driving me slightly crazy because I had to deal with behaviour while stifling a giggle or smile ... Mark was funny! The most endearing quality was his willingness to own his comment or act as inappropriate, apologizing sincerely, usually with a twinkle in his eye. Just like Ross, I wear a grin as I mentally recount our time together.

A good friend, and father of two great young men that I also had the privilege to work with while at Barrie North, Adam Duke wrote in a post, "Your infectious smile, laugh and sense of humour. Your love for family. Your love to compete. Your love of anything that involved riding, turning a wrench or building. I’ve been sincerely blessed to have shared some of the experiences along side of you."

High praise ... and from many people ... all deserved ... BUT he could make you pull your hair out, at times! I will admit that he was not one of my favourite students in the first two weeks of the semester, but I now see that we were feeling each other out, finding exactly how far each of us would move the line of appropriateness. As we figured each other out, I realized that I had been too harsh and I grew to appreciate all of the positives he brought to class each day, and we shared a number of laughs as the semester proceeded. The awful empty feeling aside, Mark was one of those students that I will remember for the rest of my life because of the connection we built.

God Bless you Mark. And thanks for opening the door and letting me into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment