Friday 15 October 2021

Top 10 reasons for being Thankful

Thanksgiving is a time when most Canadians stop rushing about taking care of their self-imposed list of To Do's and take stock of the important stuff that makes life worth waking up for each morning. I don't need to tell you that it's usually a time for recognizing loved ones, feasting on good foods, and enjoying the relationships that we often take for granted in our daily hubbub. 

Following the lead of David Letterman, here's the top 10 reasons I'm thankful these days:

#10 - I'm thankful for having a lifetime of great memories
I may not have claimed international fame or amassed incredible fortune, but I have gathered a lifetime of amazing memories, the likes of which I wouldn't trade for the world. Don't get me wrong, there are things I wish could have been subtilely different, but I can confidently state that each of those happenings were responsible for creating the person I am today. One of greatest challenges of downsizing was eliminating things that proudly held significance for a time in my life, and I have Rubbermaid containers filled with mementoes I can't part with ... yet. I am richer than any king, my golden moments forging a life I am immeasurably proud of. My coffers are not so full, however, that there's no room for what the future might hold because I'm not ready for life to be behind me yet.

#9 - I'm thankful for having the courage to move
When I floated the "What about moving" balloon first with Joyce, then with my family, the thought was met with some pregnant pauses, some raised eyebrows, some Hmmm's and Huuuh's, and nibbled lower lips. The question asked most often was WHY? and was almost always followed by WHERE? WHEN? and even ARE YOU CRAZY? God bless her, my mother added a maternal warning about how difficult it was to make new friends at our age. For a large proportion of my living years, I have been headquartered in Barrie and I felt strongly that with retirement, I now had the flexibility to give something else an honest try since a regular commute to some workplace was no longer an issue. Was it anxiety provoking? Sure, but at the same time it was exhilarating. 

#8 - I'm thankful for having found some good friends ... and the list keeps changing

One fo the fringe benefits of the life I've chosen to lead is the longterm shared experiences that cause a tendency toward affiliation with a wide variety people that I may not have had a chance to build a relationship with in other circumstances. Building on the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child", there are a wide assortment of personalities, competencies, tendencies, and perspectives presented in one's life, yet the goal is always the contentment of connection that creates a like-mindedness that fosters two way communication. When that communication unveils commonalities, the building of relationship bridges begins and, when things are optimal, those bridges result in acquaintances developing into friendships. The more open I allow myself to be with those of similar personalities, the more of those friendships develop. Of course, this is really put to the test considering #9, with those friendships now spread apart in distance, lowering the frequency of communication, but if the bonds are strong they can endure those obstacles. I am rich beyond measure with the people in my life I can confidently call my friends from my Queen's team/class mates, to my teaching colleagues, to my coaching partners, to the athletes/students I've interacted with.

#7 - I'm thankful for having the Retired Life
I've posted a handful of other writings about retirement so I won't rehash them here. Do I feel blessed to have wisely chosen a career path that allows for a satisfying and comfortable retirement? Of course. Do I feel that I have someway done something underhanded or quasi-slimy because the education pension is so awesome? Not on your life! I feel very strongly that I went above and beyond the job description for the kids whose care I was charged with, often extending the work day well past the scheduled end despite the understanding that there was zero chance of renumeration for the effort, all with the desire to provide the most enriched and complete opportunity for their development. I am 100% content with my 30 years and I will embrace the opportunity to enjoy shifting my focus from external to internal during my twilight years.

#6 - I'm thankful for having good health
As regular readers of this Blog will recall, I've staved a significant portion of my life battling with body composition, the result of flaws in my diet coupled with fluctuations in activity levels. Having occupied both sides of the mystic 300 lb mark, unfortunately multiple times, I know deep down that I have likely damaged my chances of living into my 90's, despite my family genetic benevolence. My paternal great grandparents lived well into their 80's, and their offspring, my grandparents, likewise with my Grammy living until 101. My maternal great grandparents lived into their 70's, and their children, my Nana and Papa, living into their 90's. My mother has already claimed the Octogenarian title and shows no sign of stopping. Were it not for the Cursed Big C, my father would likely have done the same. I firmly believe now that had I embraced the Bike Life at an earlier stage, I may have altered my prognosis somewhat, but no one can undo the past, so this is my reality. What I can say with confidence is that I feel like I've currently equalled my best levels of fitness, I'm doing a better job with portion control, I'm embracing healthier alternatives in my daily sustenance, and I'll take life day by day living in the moment. 

#5 - I'm thankful for having time for me

As I've alluded to, I spent a goodly portion of my adult years giving to others, and while I begrudge ZERO of those days, I am beyond thrilled with being able to now live a life of my choosing. I have found that I am rising earlier than I ever have, eager to get at the minutes of the day, thrilled with the prospect of filling those minutes with things that leave me fulfilled, happy, content and satisfied. As a consequence of some of the previous items in this list, much of my day is spent in the company of my beloved wife Joyce and we both feel our marriage is the strongest it's ever been. Case in point, we recently decided to change our perspective, hopped in the RAV, drove to Wasaga Beach and treated ourselves to a heavenly walk of the entire beach from south to north and back, the entire time sharing thoughts about our past, present and future. The day was capped with a trip to Angus to check in on the new Mr and Mrs Cove and their fur-baby Remi. During the drive home to Guelph, I was smiling at how glorious it all felt. 

#4 - I'm thankful for having 3 awesome brothers

I've written previously about what I think when it comes to by brothers Dave, Rob, and Mike. None of that has changed! The longer that I spend on this planet, I see the dynamics of other families and I am gifted with the understanding that my own is pretty gosh darned good. Again, I have explained previously how very different the 4 of us are, and some might erroneously think that could lead to division. Like any deep relationship, we are comfortable in each other's differences and the impacts that has on the minutes we have to share at this point in our lives. Could we make an effort to get together face to face more often then we do? Absolutely! Does that leave me wanting? Nope! Our uniqueness has created very different lives, each filled with time-siphons that pull in opposing directions, but don't for a minute think that it diminishes our bond. One of the things we've begun to do is to gather together, just us, to share some minutes in the present and continue to reassure that we have each other's back, no matter what. This GD pandemic has thrown a monkey wrench in the gears but we'll be reinstating that tradition in the very near future.

#3 - I'm thankful for having parents at almost 60 years old
Both Joyce and I come from good stock! As I said earlier, my mother is an Octogenarian, but Joyce's mom has claimed the title of Nonagenarian and shows serious signs of striving for the magic Centurion title. Both still live on their own, running their homes without medical or profession assistance, minds still sharp as a knife, with only the normal physical issues of aging presenting obstacles. Having the time to visit, converse, assist with chores, and enjoy each other's company is one of the many fringe benefits of retirement, but don't for a second think that we're not grateful for the gift bequeathed us. To be in the shadow of our 60's and to have parents in such good state? It's a blessing that we embrace tightly. It will all inevitably change so we are staying present, immensely enjoying the minutes we get in the right here and now.

#2 - I'm thankful for having 2 incredible children

Like all biological entities, the urge to procreate and continue the genetic line is deeply seeded in our DNA, but unlike so many living things on this planet, we humans make a much deeper commitment to the development of our offspring. Naysayers will bleat about this circumstance or that contradiction, but if you look at the 8 or so billion people on this planet, a significant proportion of them operate under that mindset. To raise children is one of life's greatest pleasures ... and challenges ... but when you can sit back and affirm that your now adult-aged kids are self-sufficient, competent, well-rounded, loving, caring, and just flat-out great people? You bask in the glow of a tremendous success! Acknowledging all bias, our kids are amazing people and we couldn't be prouder! The only thing missing from our family at this point is grandchildren ... No pressure M+K ... but I am confident that time will take care of that.

Annnnd 

#1 - I'm thankful for having found my soul mate

Let's set the record straight ... I've already won the Life Lottery. I have discovered the Ying to my Yang; the PB to my Jelly; the Cheese to my Macaroni; the Ping to my Pong; the hitch in my giddy-up; the normal to my crazy. So many years ago, when Joyce uttered those immortal words confirming she felt the same as I did, I couldn't have dreamed for a better marriage, and as corny as it sounds, my love for her increases every year. I can't thank her enough for so selflessly agreeing to be okay with all of my peculiarities, supporting my passions, and agreeing with my hair-brained choices! She is one of the most giving, loving, caring, genuine people I have ever met, and the glow she creates deep in my soul each time she sends me that googly-eyed look is the stuff that life is made of! In life's quiet moments, these days mounted atop the saddle of my bike out on some lonely road with the sun shining brightly, I praise the Lord for the good fortune graced upon me. 

To coin one of my favourites, "Me and Joyce ... we're like peas 'n carrots!"

And I am MOST ASSUREDLY thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment