Wednesday 8 December 2021

The 3rd side of the whistle

The title might make a few of you wrinkle up in curiousity. I'm referring to the notion that I started out on the sound side of the whistle, transitioned to the clipboard side of it for a really long time, and am now on the blowing side. The game can always happen without officials, especially in it's purest form, but as soon as you introduce coaches, parents and scoreboards, the need for referees is introduced.

Those connected to me on Social Media already know that I stepped out of my comfort zone following the moved to Guelph by joining GBABO ... the Guelph Board of Approved Basketball Officials ... in a effort to stay connected to education and coaching while giving me something to challenge myself with. I don't mind telling you that I was a little anxious about getting behind the 3rd side of the whistle, but I'm happy to report that my feelings of competency have quickly risen as the games rolled through. What many may not know is that I was a proud member of BDABR ... the Barrie District Approved Basketball Referees ... for a number of years back in the 90's and early '00's before stepping away when I took over the men's basketball program at Georgian College in 2007, and although it wasn't like the old adage, "It's as easy as riding a bike", it wasn't a painful process either.

Thus far in my GBABO experience, I have presided on 16 games ranging from Guelph to Orangeville and the areas in between, with a trip to Shelbourne for a playoff match-up coming early next week, and I am pleasantly pleased at the speed with which my confidence has grown. Further to that, in my most recent match, a coach on the low side of the scoreboard was attempting to "massage" my decision making with challenges to my competency, and after ignoring the loudly expressed commentary for a few outbursts, I felt great empowerment in addressing what I would and wouldn't tolerate in my most politically correct fashion. My to my pleasure, the coach grinned and quietly replied, "Now THAT's how you deal with an a$$h@le like me", while offering me props ... it's Covid after all.

Easily the largest single source of anxiety surrounds my adaptation to the FIBA ruleset after refereeing/coaching in NFHS and NCAA for so many games earlier in my tenure, but I am putting in the effort to make speedy progress in both understanding of special situations and the proper execution of the communication required. The second largest source would be officiating with a shot clock since all of my previous experience was in the pre-shot clock era, and while it continues to be a work-on, I'm feeling more and more aware with each passing game. 

Whenever you work with youngsters, the opportunity for smile-generating circumstances looms large, and my return to game has proved chock full of giggles, mostly the direct result of athletes who don't take themselves too seriously. The Guelph area, unlike many other areas (Barrie being one), did not start inter-school basketball right away when school resumed so the playoffs for the girls begin later this week. My recent games have either had direct playoff implications or been the end of the line for teams that were already mathematically eliminated, each bringing it's own unique potential for interesting happenings. It never ceases to cause me wonder when young athletes flip the mental switch to shed the pressure of the occurrence, "living in the moment" with a huge smile on a sweaty, beaming face as they thoroughly enjoy what they're doing, oblivious of the scoreboard.

Case in point, I had shared a couple of giggles with a young very talented point guard in a match recently, so there was a minute amount of familiarity established, and when the final whistle sounded, she was in possession of the ball, and approached me to hand it, choosing not to pass it to me from afar. As she approached, my smile was hidden behind my mask ... I choose to wear a Fox40 version with a whistle attached inside ... but I guess she deduced my emotional state from the wrinkles around my eyes.
"That was quite the game, eh ref?"
"It certainly was. I was most impressed with your talent."
"Wow! Thanks for saying that!"
"Sorry that your team struggled on the scoreboard tonight. The effort was outstanding."
"Really?" She looked up. "I didn't even know what the score was ... I was having too much fun!"
"What a wonderful thing to hear! Players don't say that very often."
"I guess I knew we were losing but I was enjoying it so much I didn't even look. Thanks for doing the game. I like the way you ref."
"Well, you just made my night! You know, I always try leave a game in a way that players can't remember who officiated it. I know I've done my job when it was all about the game."
"Huh, that's a neat thing. I never thought about it that way. Thanks again. Oh, and Merry Christmas!"
"The same to you, young lady. Enjoy the rest of your night."

I've said it before in closing of other posts, but Life is GOOD, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, life IS good. Great to hear that you're enjoying your time (back) behind the 3rd side of the whistle. I feel much the same way after a flag football game. Such a cool experience with the young lady whose team 'finished second' that night and a funny experience with the coach. It reminded me of what another coach from SCDSB shared with me about an experience he'd had at an out-of-area tournament. At halftime he asked the ref 'Can I get a technical foul for what I'm thinking?' The ref replied 'No', to which he replied 'I'm thinking you're doing a shitty job'.😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss my reffing of VB. I loved being a facilitator for teaching new refs! May look into joining OVA again! Enjoyed reffing flag football but I really never felt comfortable as I had never been a player! I know I made some good calls but much more comfortable on the fb ref stand even though it’s been a while as I stopped doing college and uni games when I had kids! Miss all my reffing friends!

    ReplyDelete