Friday 3 June 2022

Education is really about THE PEOPLE!

It'll come as not surprise to anyone who knows me that I'm a MASSIVE fan of teaching, but as I've pointed out in a number of posts in the past, I'm not in love with education right now. Having made that bold statement, I really must admit that reason NUMERO UNO for choosing teaching was the opportunity to meet, befriend, guide, influence, and assist the widest variety of people possible before St Peter rings his bell for me. Accomplishing all of those things with young people is obviously paramount to the role, but it also applies directly to those I've shared "combat in the trenches". 

This week featured another great moment in my personal history with that.

My time at Barrie Central was golden, of that there's no doubt, but where BCC featured more social consumption activities off campus, my adventures at Barrie North have been more activity based, not the least of which was the annual year-end golf night. Well, as Julie Andrews once crooned, "... somewhere in my wicked childhood, I must have done something good ..." since I was invited to add my "maturity" to the shenanigans as a member of Team Retired (+wannabe) featuring Peter Glass, Ron Andrews, and myself holding up the retired portion, and Burke Erwin longing for inclusion to our clan.

Making the trip up from Guelph for such a red-carpet affair would be easy to justify, at least in my mind, but I was able to swing a few supply days in financial support of said activity, completely satisfying all imposed conditions of being on a fixed income (says I with a mischievous grin). 

The Annual BNC Golf Night is a traditional romp through the fields of Simoro for 9 holes of inconsistent golf, social banter, wisecracks, and boisterous laughter lubricated by the offerings of the drink cart. Being a thoughtful chap, I planned ahead by securing a lift from the honourable Mike Alcombrack to the course, and arranging for my adorable bride to retrieve her giggly mess of a spouse afterward. Far be it from me to over-indulge, but was a safe bet that the legal limit would be surpassed since the lubrication really does make the experience more pronounced.

I've written on a number of occasions about my relationship with Ron (the dapper gentleman on the far right), so regular readers will be well aware of our wide assortment of shared experiences, and will not be in the least bit surprised at our intentions to add to the legacy. As one of my dearest, most cherished friends, he occupies the top rung on my ladder of buds.

Pete Glass (bearing his trademark grin and Viking's green) was a guy that I had know of for a really long time, but really didn't get to know until my days spent inside the walls of Barrie North. One profound memory I have was the huge smile and welcoming attitude as he extended a hand to me on my first week there, and I'm thrilled to admit that it simply improved from that point forward as we toiled away on the frontlines of our personal war against ignorance. Quick with a quip or a compliment, Pete possesses a keen sense of humour, a great propensity for keeping his composure, a humongous heart, and a genuine interest in helping people. Listening to his stories from the first year of retirement, life is all good in Glass-Land. Life being what it is, I am convinced that the closure of Central that prompted my move to North was preordained to allow a friendship with the "Glassman" to flourish.

Burke Erwin (far left and handsome) is an enigma ... meant in the most positive of ways! An ex-varsity football stud who teaches English and drama yet can make a guitar wail like a Banshee, "Burkee" is the possessor of a warm and engaging personality combined with unbridled generosity. As a firm believer in the power of a positive attitude, he is continually upbeat with a "glass is half-full" outlook on life. The students at North are VERY familiar and appreciative of Burke's "hidden" talents as he fronts the teacher band Paper Jam that performs in the school cafe at lunch on most Fridays. I can confidently say he has become a really good chum.

TOURNAMENT SYNOPSIS:
Set into the familiar Scramble Format, our quadrumvirate weebled and wobbled our way around the course displaying flashes of brilliance bookended by periods of incompetence, but as we rounded the halfway point of a 9 hole journey, the rust was wearing off and we rediscovered our mojo. In the end, even though we knew a 4 or 5 under would be needed to secure the unofficial championship, we managed a respectable 2 under thanks largely to the putter magic of Burke who drain a few radar-focused long-rangers to score some birdies.

The delicious post-match BBQ meal fresh in our bellies, we were called to the prize table, and spying a slightly hidden gem, I walked home with a 15 pack of golfballs and a huge smile on my clock. As erratic as I am with a club, replenishing the supply is paramount to another afternoon of shenanigans on the links. 

Many thanks to (1) Mary Ellen Tupling's otherworldly background organization skills, (2) funny frontman Scott Laurin's acerbic tongue and booming baritone at the prize table, and (3) the friendly and accommodating staff at Simoro GC. The night was as memorable as it was entertaining.

Shout out to my beloved bride for agreeing to retrieve her giggly hubby in the waning light of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment