Saturday 9 July 2022

A very special crew V2.0

This is a follow up to the post I made recently about the tight-knit group of Central homies that get together at the end of the school year at my buddy Ron's cottage. How blessed am I that I have TWO groups like that in my life? Granted, there's some crossover between the two, but they are significantly different in their nature, the most profound of which is that most of this group were people who taught me way back in the Stone Ages when I was on the other side of the chalkboard.

Pictured here, from left to right, John Kraft, Hardy Wind, Doug Eves, yours truly, Bill Huddleston, Ed Leach and Brian Honey ... all standout educators that have had an influence on me as role models as teachers, coaches, colleagues, and now friends. Not present in that particular night's photo, but regular participants, would be Bruce Rumble, Rick Kalte, Don Lillow, Dave Garland, John Irving, Ron Andrews, and Bob Irwin ... to name just a few. I'm honoured that this cheery, zestful group extended an invitation to join their monthly revelry after I "pushed the button" because their conclave is all about laughter and camaraderie over a shared beverage recounting stories of times shared in the past or issues of the present. I'm a bit of a unicorn, if I do say so, since I attended and then taught at the same high school, and granted, there are a small number of others who have been similarly privileged, but I'm the only one is this group. 

It gives me pause when I count my blessings because I truly enjoy our shared time.

The whole thing started a number of years, as I understand it, before joining their retired ranks. Some of the faces not pictured here have been "out of the game" for 25 years or so. In its essence, that collegial specialness as staff spilled over into retirement and a point was made to commiserate on a bi-weekly basis at McReilly's on Barrie's Dunlop Street. I knew about the gatherings for a while since many of the more mature members were good friends and regaled some of the humorous events of the past, so I was more captivated than a Magpie over the golden lustre the opportunity held. Just like so many things, the pandemic's disruption forced our hand to employ Zoom's assistance while we impatiently waited to meet face to face again, and emerging from our self-imposed isolation, we sought a Covid-friendly solution which landed us on the outdoor patio of Barrie's iconic Queen's Hotel, just down the street from McReilly's.

As I've pointed out in other writings, I'm not aware of another school that cherishes the friendships forged in the trenches like my alma mater, but regardless, it has had a profound impact on me. The wide smiles shared across the rim of our tankards, the belly laughs at the remembrance of a certain person or event, or the commiseration at the sad news of one type or another, all warms the cackles of my heart and never misses the opportunity to turn up the corners of my mouth! 

I'm usually grinning like Carol's Cheshire Cat, if I'm honest. 

With many of the members of our little group steeping across the threshold into full blown Octogenarianism, the inevitability of Life's Circle closing becomes real, and those remaining will seek to invite the newly retired into the fold as a continuation effort so that this unique phenomenon transcends the ravages of time. It's a torch that I take very seriously and willingly.

As the saying goes, "Life ... Nobody gets out alive!" When St Peter calls for me to make the voyage, I will re-join those that I have developed a tremendous admiration for.

#blessed folks, that's what I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment