Monday 26 September 2022

Well, THAT was interesting!

Whenever I share a chat with a friend or an acquaintance about how things are going in retirement and the conversation steers toward my choice of being an active supply teacher, I get some raised eyebrows, sheepish grins, and curious head-tilts. The reality is that, while a high percentage of people are moderately curious with my choice to return to the classroom, I truly enjoy the interaction with young people through my facilitation of knowledge/skill seeking. Since my retirement in January of 2020 proceeded the pandemic-imposed conditions of the education system, my entire supply teaching experience until this school year was skewed by Barrie North, and despite thoroughly enjoying my time spent there, I recently shared the teenage-infused chaos of the House System at Elmvale DHS. To say that I had the veil lifted might be too profound, but I absolutely learned a thing or three about school-life in a smaller community school.

Think Harry Potter's Hogwarts through a rural Ontario, small town lens.


In the event that you've never experienced a House System like EDHS and its full-on, school wide, volume infused spirit-fest version, you likely wouldn't believe that today's teen would embrace conscription into radicalized expression of spirit like the scenes my old eyes witnessed recently on this day's supply duty. I can tell you that while I might have been a naysayer too, prior to the day, but I come away with a whole new understanding of EDHS's infamous school spirit. Since my supply duties included Gr 9 classes, I was asked to supervise the opening indoctrination, the chilly walk to Elmvale's Heritage Park, the wide assortment of GLO competitions, and the wrap up assembly. What my pictures and videos won't do is give you a true sense of both the bedlam and intensity of the event. 



To say that the Gr 12 leaders "drink the Koolaid" is the understatement of the year! 

The entire school ... students and teachers ... are divided into four houses represented by both colour and title, complete with a wide variety of house-specific creative cheers. The goal, from the uninitiated view, was to overpower the other houses with both enthusiasm and volume, all in a quest for the much sought after house points that would accumulate throughout the year, and eventually crown the winning house. 

It was certainly an eye-opener! 

The ear-splitting volume of the house cheers was enough to send sensitive folk scrambling for ear plugs, the strained vocal cords of the leaders crackling under the days exertion, but there was absolutely no lack of enthusiasm! 

I would estimate that over half of the staff were actively supporting their house, as well. 

The day's weather half-heartedly cooperated with patches of welcomed sunshine to scare away the chill from the wet and mucky games, but it was difficult to detect the rosiness of cheeks or the blue-tinted lips beneath the caked on layers of paint, pancake mix, and soap bubbles that so many participants chose to inflict upon themselves. Although pre-warned about the dishevelled possibilities, participation in the activities was 100% voluntary. The carnage was significant enough to prompt my concern for the mental health of both custodians and bus drivers and the mess that they would have to deal with after the fact.

The best news of the day was shared by a friend on staff! "If you think this is pretty nifty," she warned, "then make sure you accept a job on the Friday before the Elmvale Fall Fair!" Apparently, the day's action was merely a warm up for the parade that would feature the four house-created floats, appreciated and cheered for by the townsfolk as they supported their house from EDHS day's gone by.

Even if I'm not working that day, I think I'll drop by. 

WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment