Wednesday 21 February 2024

The Madness!

It's nigh upon March and as any hoops fan worth their weight in popcorn will tell you, it's almost the time of the MADNESS ... March Madness, to be specific! The annual basketball love-fest that is the NCAA men's and women's championships means hours pouring over pool predictions, ridiculous side bets, foam finger waving, hoodie wearing, and ass-groove carving on your favourite place to watch the whole affair unfold.

I must admit that I have whiled away many a hour, wearing out the remote buttons as I flip between the various broadcasts in an effort to catch that "One Shining Moment" where a 20-something creates his or her 15 seconds of fame through some Uber-human feat of athleticism that goes viral on social media.

However, the looming of March has another meaning, at least in my home. 

As a BDABO referee, I have enjoyed a front row seat to some pretty gosh darned neat things that the students of Simcoe County have offered up for my fanaticism. This 3rd week of February will feature the culmination of the local basketball leagues when the SCAA champs (public schools) will face the CSASC champs (catholic schools) and MPS champs (far north schools) as they vie for the coveted GBSSA trophy and its gold plated ticket to an OFSAA championship.

As a longtime Barrie area coach, I have been fortunate enough to not only attend an OFSAA championship by securing a GB title (bragging ... 38 GBSSA titles in BB, RUG, SWM), but also won a satisfying number of OFSAA medals (bragging again ... 22 OFSAA medals in BB + RUG), giving me a deep appreciation of how much it means to athletes to have their sacrifices and efforts come to fruition. As a former GBSSA president, secretary, and OFSAA representative, I am astutely cognizant of the ridiculously small percent of all high school athletes that qualify for an OFSAA championship, let alone bring home a medal. During my final years when I was OFSAA representative, it was generally agreed the less than 1% of all high school athletes ever realize that dream.

There are approximately 872 secondary schools in Ontario, housing over 636, 000 students. 

OFSAA hosts 38 provincial championships and 7 festivals in 20 different sports.

You want Madness? THAT, my friends, is MADNESS!
Get off your couch and go watch these kids pour their everything into a chance at beating those odds. 

UPDATE! Here's what happened at the various GBSSA Championships:
Sr AAA Boys - Fri Feb 23rd St Peter's hosted Bradford (Bradford to AAA OFSAA)
Jr AAA Boys - Fri Feb 23rd St Joan of Arc hosted Maple Ridge (Congrats JOA!)
Thu Feb 22nd Nottawasaga Pines SS in Angus hosts the AA Boys GBSSA Championships
Sr AA Boys - Semis: St Joe's v Geo Bay 9:00; N Pines v Bracebridge 10:30
Finals: St Joe's v Notty Pines (St Joe's goes to AA OFSAA in Ottawa Mar 4-6/24)
Jr AA Boys - Semis: St Joe's v Geo Bay 12:00; N Pines v Bracebridge 1:30
Finals: St Joe's v Bracebridge (Congrats STJ!)
Thu Feb 22nd Stayner CI in Stayner will host the A Boys GBSSA Championships
Sr A Boys - Semis: Our Lady of the Bay v Nouvelle 9:00; Stayner v Gravenhurst 10:30
Finals: Our Lady of the Bay vs Stayner (OLB goes to A OFSAA in Welland Mar 4-6/24)
Jr A Boys - Semis: Nouvelle v Gravenhurst 12:00; Our Lady of the Bay v Elmvale 1:30
Finals: Gravenhurst v Elmvale (Congrats Gravenhurst!)

I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to winter in the sunny south for the last few years, meaning that I was out of country during the local GBSSA championships. I decided ... actually, I convinced my skeptical bestie ... that I'd like to be home for them this year so we arrived back in Canada at the beginning of February. I was honoured to have been assigned a number of the SCAA and CSASC playoff games, but I'm scarlet to have been selected to officiate the A Boys GBSSA Championship games for Sr + Jr at Stayner. I'm as giddy as a 3 year old on their birthday!

Yep, at this time of year, it's all about the MADNESS!
*Go Heels Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment