Sunday 6 October 2019

I've stood on the shoulders of giants ...


In case it escaped your notice, I’ve taught in a few different places, both elementary and secondary. During all of those varied teaching assignments, I have met a number of awesomely talented colleagues who, by the way, are also amazing human beings. Just like I can’t prioritize my favourite coaching moments in lieu of upsetting someone, I can’t prioritize the following wonderful people … So, in no particular order …

Ron Andrews was my long-time coaching mate and a dear friend. Having said that, please believe me when I tell you this guy is a Shrek in a little-bodied, good guy sort of way … he’s like an onion … He’s got loads of layers. Those who know both of us already know most of the coaching stuff BUT in case you don’t know, here’s a small snippet … He’s been the head coach for 21 OFSAA medal finishes: 9 OFSAA Gold, 5 OFSAA Silver, 5 OFSAA Bronze, 1 OFSAA Antique Bronze and 1 OFSAA Consolation Championship. He’s coached with Rugby Ontario and Rugby Canada since he started back in the late ‘80s. FUN FACT: Ron is second only to fellow Canadian born, national team coach John Tait (Canada’s Women’s Sevens) in the total number of international matches coached … and he stopped coaching Canada in 2008! What a lot of people don’t know about Ron is the off-field stuff like the kind of family man he is, how generous and kind he is, how much he adores card and “Minute to Win it” games, and how loyal he is. It would take an entire post to effectively outline all of the lessons that I have learned through our friendship. It was a complete “No Brainer” to me to nominate him for the Coaching Association of Ontario’s Coaching Excellence award that he was presented with this fall. It was equally easy to nominate him for induction into the Barrie Sports Hall of Fame as a builder, an honour that we will celebrate together recently. I’ve said it many times before, but like the song goes, “Thank you for being a friend. Traveled down a road and back again. Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant. I'm not ashamed to say, I hope it always will stay this way. My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow.”

In a previous post, I introduced you to an elementary colleague named Don Montgomery that I taught with at Portage View PS. For those that didn’t read that post, the “Reader’s Digest” version is that Don and I taught in side-by-side “Cottages” … His term a portable because it has a better feel … where he would gently challenge my thoughts and ideas about a plethora of subjects as we leaned against the railing of the little wooden porches for a few minutes after school each week. To me, Don’s compassionate, caring way made a huge impact on my early development as an educator, demonstrating how to capture the respect and attention of his class with “disguised learning” … lessons that the students would learn when they didn’t realize he was teaching. When both of my children were born, Don gifted each with a book of children’s stories that I still cherish to this day. I can say with complete confidence that I wouldn’t be the man or teacher I am today without his influence.

If you’re a part of the Central family, I can say one word and it will cause you to snap your head around, look at me and nod approvingly with a massive smile … CHESTNUT! The recently retired phenomenon, and 2019 John Crawley Award winner, that is Brad Chestnut spent the bulk of his teaching career at Central in both the HPE and Comm Tech departments while also shaping the futures of 100’s of aspiring athletes while coaching wrestling and rugby. The stories surrounding the escapades of Chestnut are stuff of urban myths, becoming larger and more incredible with each retelling, but unlike Bigfoot (although he exudes qualities of similarity), all of those stories have a rock-solid foundation in the truth. It would not be professional of me to put those stories out there in cyber-land, but trust me, they are fantastic! Truth be told, Brad has a heart as big as a whale, generous to a fault, devoutly loyal, and a truly wonderful friend!

Peter Kalbfleisch and I started teaching together at Barrie Central around the same time and we quickly found out that we shared a bunch of commonalities in both teaching and coaching. A tireless and talented teacher, Peter is also a loyal friend who is there whenever a helping hand is needed, but it is his quiet competency that wins you over as it slowly dawns on you that he knows a lot about a lot. We shared a ton of laughs together over the years, be it teaching, hanging out in r119 (the HPE office), preparing ridiculous skits for the annual Central Teacher’s Assembly, or sharing a "social" beside a pool or lake. I am really blessed to have a friendship with Peter because he taught me how to take great pride in my teaching … and he’s a great human being to boot!

If you’re paying close attention, you’ll notice that this list of great humans includes a number of Central colleagues … It’s not a fluke that so many of us who worked together there have fantastic memories of the people. To soften the masculine edge of the “Rat Pack” that was Central’s HPE department, Sue Berardi occupied the only non-HPE desk in the office (Sue was the Art Leader) and she fit in with us goons, to quote Forest Gump, “like peas and carrots”. Sue brought the Fine Art touch to the shenanigans that rolled out each and every day, but TBH, it was the birthday cakes she supplied sealed the deal! I first met Sue outside of Central since she was married to Frank Berardi, a basketball buddy from my early days in teaching, but it was our collective scheming that really cemented our friendship … Oh and allowing me to coach her 3 awesome kids didn’t hurt either. She is a sweetheart and keeper!

I have been blessed to know a wide assortment of great humans during all of these years and it would just take too long to acknowledge them all. I’d like to say a blanket THANKS to all of the people who gifted themselves to me by way of their friendship but, at the risk of offending someone, I’d feel it very important to include a small note about Craig Shaw. Craig was on the staff at Central and, during the years that my children attended BCC, was both the Transportation Tech and Photography guy. This meant that he had an impressionable young blond kid in “Auto Shop” … KP. Craig is one of the most genuine, thoughtful, and intelligent people I have interacted with and he shared those amazing qualities with KP for 3 different semesters. He is single-handedly the reason why Keaton is, and loves being, a mechanic. We have had opportunity to sit and chat on dozens of occasions and hash out our likes, dislikes, opinions and biases on a huge variety of topics, something that was quite simply incredible but it is the indelible influence he had on KP that makes him one of my favourites. He’s a “glass is half full” type of guy and I wish him all the best as he enters his own retirement situation.

I’ve worked with and for a number of outstanding administrators, but the two that head that list are Russ Atkinson (BCC 2007-2014) and Greg Brucker (BCC 2015-2016, BNC 2017-2020) for a variety of similar reasons but with a few distinct differences.

Russ came aboard the Good Ship Central in 2007 and immediately pressed hard to leave an indelible thumbprint by resurrecting the then defunct football program. His leadership style really fit with me, on a personal level, and we hit it off pretty quickly. I soon found out Russ was a “doer” and had high expectations for his staff … It didn’t matter what you chose to do but there was a firm expectation that you were doing something outside of class that enriched the experience for kids. He did two TPAs (Teacher Evaluations) with me and he was great to bounce ideas off after some useful and honest feedback about how I was conducting business. It was Russ who came to me asking for a favour, would I consider taking over the school Yearbook course? I wasn’t qualified to teach Comm Tech then, but little details like that never bothered Russ and he really thought I could do it. “There aren’t a lot of people I can give a job they don’t wish and have faith they won’t F&%# it up … You’re one of them.” That’s an awkward sounding compliment but I took it that way. Russ was also the one that brought SPARK to Central after some summer reading about research that Harvard’s Dr John Ratey was doing about the connections between exercise and learning. He even hand-picked a few of us to travel together to just outside of Boston for a week of intensive SPARK training … Some of those people are listed in this post and “Birds of a feather” as the saying goes. As the rumours of Central’s impending doom transitioned from hearsay to reality, it was Russ who took on the Board, butting heads with Sr admin, all in an effort to find a way to keep Central’s doors open. Not many people know this, but he was so successful at ruffling feathers that he was told, unequivocally, to ‘back off”! Russ had some health challenges following his retirement in 2015 but he’s way too determined to let anything get him. We’ve been able to stay in touch through the transition to North and I am humbled and honoured that he chooses to be my friend!

Greg Brucker and I first met in Elementary school since his childhood home was 4 doors up from my mine on Sunnidale Rd in Barrie. We ended up at Central together, we shared some volleyball teams, skied together at Snow Valley and even got hooked by the skateboard fad of the late 70’s building a driveway ramp and frequenting Tony’s Skate Shop on TO for the latest and greatest. While I was doing my educational thing, Greg was doing his own in the science department at Eastview before making the jump to administration in the early 2000’s. When we were told that Russ was retiring and that Greg would be the replacement, I thought I’d won the lottery! Seriously? Greg’s a dude’s dude, Uber cool, one of the smartest people I know and a true buddy … And he’s a chip off the “Ol’ Russ” after working as a VP with him at Bradford. Way cool! Greg was the perfect person to navigate the Good Ship Central through the Maelstrom of the closure, becoming one of the driving forces behind the 2016 spring’s reunion (with MEGA help from Joanne McLaurin and BCC’s teachers) and the year-end carnival for the 400 or so students who braved the closure. By now you’ve probably figured out that I’m a two-time lottery winner because the SCDSB saw fit to move Greg to North where we’ve continued our wonderful friendship journey for the past 3½ years. If I ever suspected that I was completely biased (I am, BTW) about Greg’s wonderfulness, those fears were put to rest as the North staff have often confided in me that they are astounded by how awesome Greg is to work for. The icing on the cake, selfishly, was when he came to me last spring and actually inquired about which courses I would like to teach for my final semester. “Of course, I can’t guarantee it, but I’ll do my best.” said he with a wink and that great smile of his. I’m one lucky guy!

I would be remiss to not mention the people who helped make the transition to North almost seamless, although the time together was short. The North HPE staff led by Peter Glass went out of their way to make sure that I (and Ron) felt welcomed, appreciated and valued during the past 3½ years. Gary Hamilton, Tammy Laurin, and Kevin Simms were the full time folk but shout out to Kelly Maslen and Scott Blake as well. There are many others who also went out of their way to make me feel a part of a team (I immediately think of Mike Alcombrack and Burke Erwin) but these folks were the daily interactions as we shared “war stories” in the HPE office. I am very confident that, were things different and I spent more years at North, these folks would have become the influences that my Central cronies were.

The saying goes, “It’s not the minutes in your life but the life in your minutes that counts.” I consider myself one very lucky guy to have shared life during the minutes that I spent in education.

No comments:

Post a Comment