Friday 2 October 2020

Biking is my new social circle


I am sure by this point that most of you know that I have become a MAMIL ... a Middle Aged Man In Lycra ... having embraced the #bikelife. With the total hypocrisy of that statement acknowledged, especially considering statements I have espoused in earlier posts, I have shifted my socialization events from things that involve sitting and imbibing to things that involve riding and pedalling. These days, nothing says buddies like a 50, 60, 70 or 80 km rip in the beauty of Simcoe County on my trusty two-wheeled stallion. While the bulk of my riding has been decidedly solo, the chance to enjoy exercise, conversation and camaraderie is incredibly satisfying. Where I was once intimidated to ride with my friends who have been at this game for far longer than I, that has quickly faded, although I still have a way to go before I am able to match their pedalling prowess. Having said that, I admit that I am proud of the goals that I have set, trained for, and achieved throughout this whole crazy scenario.

Likely the single biggest influence responsible for my segue into the cycling world would be former BNC colleague Kevin Simms. He is not just IN the #bikelife, he IS the #bikelife and my go-to source answer to any cycling training questions I might have. He is also an internationally known cycling coach, and in the top three in Canada for his age in both road racing and mountain biking. Going for a ride with Simmer is an immensely satisfying and enjoyable experience ... for me at least. Being the consummate cyclist that he is, Simmer dials it back a few notches when he rides with me, but you wouldn't know it. Using his own favourite phrase, he is a SUPER GOOD friend.

My primary bike buddy is my wife Joyce. While she doesn't do the km's that I do, we use our times together to get out and about as a part of a healthy lifestyle, and truth be told, we enjoy spending some time seeing the sights of our incredibly beautiful county of Simcoe. 
One of our "Bike Dates" was from Thornbury to Meaford along the Georgian Trail, a lovely 30 km round trip with a stop at Meaford's Fred Raper Park, at the waterfront down near the harbour. Riding along the trail, our noses detected a telltale sweet smell as we rode through some of the area's gorgeous apple orchards. At the end of the return trip, we stopped in at Thornbury's famous cidery to pick up some of their most delicious Blood Orange cider, then proceeded to Thornbury's waterfront Memorial Park to enjoy our picnic lunch and a wade in Georgian Bay. 
Another "Bike Date" involved a quick drive to Wasaga Beach, followed by a wonderful 25 km ride along the Shore Line Trail there. We parked at the Rec Centre, then proceeded north all the way to the peninsula at the end of Beach One, and then followed it all the way back to the end at its furthest south, before completing the loop back at the truck. Our picnic on the beach was a only made better by the fact that it was well into September, the temperature was well into the high 20's and it was a school day. Biking and retirement really do go hand in hand. 

The pandemic and it's shut down of "normal" has prompted a number of my friends to look at cycling as a viable exercise alternative. One of those is Georgian head coach, John Daggett. I called him up to see if he wished to test the "waters" of Ramara Township via the Uthoff Trail that goes from Orillia to Coldwater, and much to my pleasure, he accepted. We decided to ferry our bikes in the Tacoma up to a parking lot north of Orillia to start our adventure from there. Off we set, chatting about the state of education (John is a Georgian Co-op Coordinator) and rugby, marvelling at the beauty before our eyes ... the landscape, not each other ... and how great it is to be able to get out and about. The ride amounted to about 30 km, which was ample for both of us, and we agreed that we should continue this well into the fall. I am retired, after all, and GC had already informed John that his service would be remote throughout the fall. 

My old BCC chum, Hardy Wind, has become my cycling guru in addition to generously sharing his mechanical knowledge and expertise. Prior to purchasing an actual road bike, I was schlepping along on my Hybrid Legacy trail bike and it was having mechanical issues like flat tires and blown spokes. Hardy helped me replace the rims and make it as good as possible ... all for free I might add because he's a that kind of a man ... but I could tell that if this cycling compulsion was going to continue, I was going to have to consider an actual road bike. Thankfully, the stars aligned and another cycling friend Steve Kelman was looking to upgrade his ride, so he was selling his "old" road bike for a great deal. It was Hardy that introduced me to the concept of the "Buddy Ride." He and I have pointed north and drove out to Coldwater for a sweet little ride from there out to the Big Chute locks and back. The road there is a great little country jaunt, filled with typical Canadian vistas courtesy of the strata of the Canadian Shield. We had to put up with some construction up near Big Chute, but that was of little consequence in comparison to watching the lock do its thing, up close and personal. After it was all ridden and done, I treated Hardy to a coffee and sweet at EM's cafe in Coldwater ... a must for those in the area ... as thanks for driving and the company. On a different ride, we pointed west out of Barrie with the goal of Creemore's Affairs Bakery via Sunnidale Rd, Angus, Glencairn, and Avening. By the time I had returned home, I had a delicious coffee, a delectable buttertart, and a very respectable 99 kms had been traversed. 

Another "Bike Buddy" is former BNC colleague, Jay Rothenburg. As a  long time cyclist but Uber eager to share the #bikelife with anyone that will join, Jay is a great friend. Hardy, being Hardy, organized a trio-ride and we jumped in his Outback, heading for the trailhead beside Georgian Downs. The Rail Trail has a parking lot there and riders can head southwest through Thornton all the way down to Beeton. Along the way, the trail takes you through 25 km's of Essa Township's stunning agricultural beauty. Going down and back was a wonderful time as we got caught up on each other's happenings. I was astutely aware that the two could have left me in their wake at a moment's notice, so I worked hard to make sure I matched their pace. It was a really good morning, made better by Hardy's generous gift of an icy Gatorade once we got back to the car, but I still had to figure out how not to sweat all over his immaculate Outback.

The goal for the summer was planted in my head by Kevin Simms, early on in the pandemic. With a gleeful glint in his eye, he gently prodded me that I should think about setting the goal of achieving the Metric Century ... a ride of 100 km. Those that have decided to read other posts in this Blog will know that I was able to achieve that goal (https://coachpsperspective.blogspot.com/2020/09/achieving-metric-century.html) thanks largely to the social circle of great friends who supported me. The "Buddy Ride" was truly the tool that allowed the achievement, and despite having to complete a few laps of Simmer's Cathedral Pines subdivision to ultimately notch the 101 kms, it was a glorious endeavour. I will have to say that attempting this feat on the Legacy would have resulted in serious harm, but the Ridley was more than up to the task. Many thanks to other "Bike Buddies" Doug Woods, Sam Loucks, Simmer, Hardy and Jay for their support.

The Fall's weather, if you believe in the Farmer's Almanac, is forecasted to be decent, so I would hope that the remaining months will be filled with more Buddy Rides before Mother Nature buries us in her yearly blanket of "fluff stuff'". 

Of course, once that cursed snow arrives, I'll have to find another compulsion to get me through the winter ... more on that later!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are still riding! I have done some but nowhere near the kms I did in August! Winter is coming and I challenge you to learn to skate ski! I’ll even throw in lessons and I’m sure Jay would like a distance partner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cosmetics can be sold through various channels such as retail stores, e-commerce platforms, direct sales, beauty salons, and department stores. Choosing the right distribution channels and building relationships with retailers or distributors are important considerations for reaching consumers.https://trendybeauti.com/products/hyaluronic-acid-2-b5-serum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG is typically applied topically to the skin, focusing on areas of concern such as under the eyes. It is recommended to use a small amount and gently pat or massage it into the skin until absorbed. It can be used once or twice daily, depending on personal preference and skin tolerance.https://trendybeauti.com/products/the-ordinary-anti-aging-set
    https://trendybeauti.com/collections/olaplex-hair-care
    https://trendybeauti.com/products/the-ordinary-buffet-multi-technology-peptide-serum-30ml

    Complementing Skincare Routine: This solution can be incorporated into a skincare routine as part of the serum or treatment step. It is often followed by the application of moisturizer or sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have a small office, you may want to choose furniture that is space-saving. If you have a large office, you may have more flexibility in your furniture choices.
    Office furniture can range in price from very affordable to very expensive. It is important to set a budget before you start shopping so that you do not overspend.
    https://guts.pk/shop/category/face/serum/
    https://guts.pk/shop/category/hair-care/hair-oil/
    https://reddestin.com/collections/office-sofa-set
    https://reddestin.com/collections/l-shape-sofa
    https://reddestin.com/collections/office-chairs
    https://reddestin.com/collections/executive-chair

    ReplyDelete