Friday 9 October 2020

Where's my mask?

I'd like to begin this post by saying that my wife and I are 100% for the wearing of a mask as part of the 3 W's edict surrounding this pandemic Wear a mask, 
Watch your distance, 
Wash your hands. 
It is, at the very least, the simplest way for us all to help mitigate the impact of this novel coronavirus. As the graphic at the left states, my mask protects others, those in their bubble, and those in my local area. 

I added #4 as a expression of compassion for my yet-to-be-retired former colleagues as they navigate the Minister of Education's poorly conceived back to school plan. Without getting on the proverbial soapbox, for #fordnation to trumpet guidelines for the general public while at the same time, impose a different set of guidelines for the Education System, screams of their true-blue Conservative morals as they place the welfare of their business buddies over the welfare of their future constituents. I had numerous conversations with soon to be voters, and I can confidently report that they are not impressed and have vowed to remember the PC effort when they are granted the right to vote in the next couple of years.

When I retired last January, I had plans of supplementing my retirement income by supplying occasionally. I retired as early as the system allowed because, in part, I felt I needed to make space for those talented youngsters who were entering the system. When the pandemic hit, and the plan to return to face-to-face teaching was announced, Joyce and I felt strongly that we should wait for a month to see how the process proceeded. I was cognizant of taking work that could be filled by my younger counterparts on the master supply list, but I soon learned that many absences went unfilled each day, resulting in emergency on-calls for my former colleagues. With that in mind, I tossed my hat into the fray once October hit, and I was immediately conscripted by my former principal (and childhood friend) Greg Brucker to fill in with a G11 fitness class for 3 days. 

It's good to be lucky!

The first day, I reported to BNC with a good attitude, a mask, and smile. I suppressed my nervousness borne out of leading a 4 hour charge with a group of 16-17 year olds, and dove head-first into it. Much to my pleasure, the day was a rousing success! This particular class had been inflicted with numerous supply and on-call teachers so structure was a glorious afterthought, despite the best efforts of everyone that tried. Since I had taught numerous fitness classes at the former Barrie Central, I felt up to the task and most of the day was spent "putting out small fires" as I chided the less enthusiastic into action. Truth be told, the single negative on the day was the pandemic stuff like 5 hours of mask wearing, constant sanitizing, and constant vigilance on student social distancing. 

Day two turned out to be a marked improvement in the first two hour block, prompting a classroom effort at some theory, with the intention of subtly infusing some structure because I was aware that a concerted effort was being made to find a Long Term Occasional (LTO) replacement. I was thrilled to see the lights come on in their eyes as the students embraced the information. I have to be honest, the mask thing was certainly a downer as the constant reminders and my own discomfort kicked up, but the students were conscientious and accommodating.

The final day ... my retired week's Friday ... I was gifted the pleasure of meeting the young man that was hired to steer the ship as LTO. He was enthusiastic, came across as knowledgeable, possessed good people skills, and many of the students immediately gravitated towards him. BONUS! We spent the morning together as I attempted to offer both advice and answers, and I think that he felt much less anxious as we said our goodbyes and good lucks at lunch. The remainder of the day was the positive climax to the experience as we finalized the theory we started two days ago ... it seemed much longer though ... and finished the day laughing and giggling as we braved the cool, rain-sprinkled field for some touch rugby and soccer. 

FANTASTIC!

In an attempt at being brutally honest, yet not looking to "throw anyone under the bus", I will tell you that the experience in no way, shape or form, resembled the restrictions that I heard #fordnation espouse on the news cast. The students were frickin' awesome, but with 24 bodies in a fitness room, social distancing was impossible. Masks were worn but you can't blame the students for requiring a short maskless break every now and again, even given that they sequestered themselves while doing it. Hand sanitizer was used as they entered and spray sanitizer after using equipment, and nothing that had anything to do with the classroom was an issue, but the proverbial gloves came off when the lunch and study hall periods occurred as the students hurriedly rushed out the doors to enjoy the maskless outdoors with their buddies from other classes. In all honesty, I can't blame them for any of that, and each student that exited had parental permission to choose leaving school as an option, but Lecce's proclamation that they would be in cohorts and segregated was stuff of dreams.

Armed with the knowledge that so many of the absences at North go unfilled each day, I will be returning in a supply function to, in a small way, do my part to help. It was a pleasure to be back at the helm of the "Good Ship" as the students and I navigated the uncharted waters of learning. They couldn't see my enormous smile underneath my mask, but the multitudes of "fist bumps" and thanks from the line of exiting students on Thursday "charged the batteries" enough for the Holiday Weekend.

And I am absolutely THANKFUL for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment