Sunday 15 November 2020

Biking is my new social circle V2.0


In a previous posts, I detailed the curious transformation I have experienced in my physique, attitude, and social circle ... the subject of this particular writing.

As the autumn wanes, and a good ol' Canadian winter looms, I have found myself scouring the various weather forecasting web sites to see if I can reach an understanding of an accurate prediction for the upcoming days. As the calendar flips by, it leaves a sense of anxiety that my 2020 cycling days are numbered. Those feelings of anxiety are a direct result of the sheer exuberance I have discovered as I join like-minded cycling enthusiasts in exploring the beauty that Ontario offers to those who care to explore. With Joyce and I doing our part to isolate during this pandemic, I have taken full advantage of expanding my health-conscious, masked, distanced social circle to include people that many of my older friends would raise an eyebrow or crinkle a forehead over. It has been refreshing to expand the circle to include many of whom I would never had the chance to know.

Some see the glass half consumed; I see half of a delicious treat left to enjoy ... it's all about attitude. 

As Mother Nature granted us a November reprieve from the normal gusty, bone-chilling gales we've become accustomed to, I have continued to venture out into the surrounding countryside on my trusty two-wheeled stallion, albeit donning the requisite multiple layers of my MAMIL attire. Much of that has been solo but I have encountered a number of like-minded stalwarts who have extended an invitation to accompany them as they do the same. 

There is some obvious crossover from my "old" circle to this "new" one as those that were the reason I even ventured into the world of cycling offer opportunities to meet others that fill their own circles. A while ago, my good friend Kevin Simms ... my guru of all things cycling ... said to me that I will know that I have embraced the #bikelife when I choose to drive to new locations to experience what those areas have to offer atop the saddle of my stallion. What was originally met with curious denial has become entrenched in my psyche. 


Another cycling enthusiast I have accepted into my circle during this transformation is Jay Rothenburg, a former Barrie North colleague and long-time avid biker. Recently, I joined a group of new-to-me friends of Jay's on a ride from Stayner to Meaford, taking advantage of the tremendous trail system in Clearview Township. We all drove out to Stayner to take advantage of the designated parking there for access to the Georgian Trail, geared up, clipped in and set out in the early hours of the morn on our odyssey. The composition of this new cadre included those from Barrie (Ruth and I), Springwater (Jay), Newmarket (JP), Aurora (Steve B) and Midhurst (Steve K). 

The great difference between solo training and social riding, besides the obvious opportunity for conversational interaction, is the willingness to take a small break spurred by a gorgeous vista or curious happenstance. On the journey to Meaford, we marvelled at the natural beauty of Georgian Bay, pulling out our Smartphones to capture the sights by mugging in a bicycle sort of way. Arriving at the harbour in Meaford beneath an incredible cloudless sky, we took a silent moment of reflection to commune with the "Great Outdoors" and recharge the "batteries" drained by the toils of this pandemic. A quick refuel at the Leaky Canoe ... highly recommended ... we completed the journey to the tune of 100 km round trip with the arrival back in Stayner. 

The level of enjoyment was so high on the Meaford trip, an encore was hatched to include the sights and sounds of Ontario's south-central Elora Gorge by using the Elora Cataract Trailway. Carpooling from the Barrie area, Jay + Ruth + I were joined by Hardy (see previous posts) and we pointed south and finally arrived at Alton, meeting Steve, JP and a new friend Barry (Toronto). We hit the trailhead at the infamous Forkes of the Credit Inn and were summarily impressed by the large variety of terrain we encountered, but topping the list ... much to the delight of this former fat guy ... was the slight detour to the Belwood Country Market at the insistence of JP who raved about the quality of the buttertarts they offer. My family has always harboured an affinity for Newmarket's Maid's Cottage so JP and I shared an animated discussion on each bakery's merits. I will admit that while Belwood's version did not unseat my personal #1, they will become a very close 2nd, forcing Creemore's Affairs Catering to the bronze medal spot. The lay-over for the trip was Elora's famous brewery where some of the local wares were tasted before reversing course for the trip back to Alton. In the end, a respectable 108 km was clocked. 

I feel like we cyclists are living on borrowed time now that the middle of November has arrived, so I am not at all optimistic about the 3rd odyssey of 2020, but it's been a pretty strange year, so there's always a little hope. Pretty soon, I'll have to decide how my compulsion for fitness-related activities will be satiated with a blanket of the fluff-stuff coating the countryside. Nordic Skiing? Perhaps. Snowshoeing? A big maybe. Yoga? A long shot but this year's been full of new experiences so why buck the trend?

Those that knew my former 280-320 lb self just experienced a little giggle as images of me doing Yoga popped into their head!

You're welcome for adding a little laughter to your life.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, I am impressed with your knack for writing! I am equally impressed by how much you’ve taken on your newfound passion for cycling. In a short time, you’ve seemingly achieved more mileage on two wheels than I did when I first started getting serious about cycling. It’s been a pleasure having you a part of our small and safe social cycling circle, especially during these challenging times. Keep on riding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve! When the trails open a ski is in order!! We will find you some rentals and get you on the winter bandwagon!! Jay and I would be happy to teach you and Jay needs a distance partner!!

    ReplyDelete