Monday 2 November 2020

Think like a "HOG"!

The position of lineman in American Football is indeed one lacking the appropriate appreciation. As the graphic points out, there are many redeemable qualities that lineman exemplify which, if applied generously across society, could make the world a better place. One of my TRUE pet peeves with the state of civilization right now is the notion that everyone should strive to be the star, consequences be damned. IMHO, this has led to enormous negative impacts on the health of the planet as humans rape the natural world for the almighty dollar. I am not belittling anyone's work ethic or effort, and those that work the hardest should enjoy the fruits of their labour. If, however, that the hunt for the gain results in irreparable harm to the global ecology, wiping out immeasurable numbers of species and tipping the balance toward irreversible sweeping changes, then I see that as tragic. These changes are facts, not opinions. If you wish to give your conscience a jolt, watch David Attenborough's new documentary on Netflix.

I have played A LOT of football in my life! I started like most kids of my generation with the Junior team when I entered high school. I was a late maturer, but I was still of a decent enough stature that the coaches figured me to be a lineman. Of course, not being much different from others my age, I had delusions of grandeur, and I felt that I could have more of an impact role, lineman not being quite up to par in my mind. Being the most dangerous type of competitor ... one with illusions of grandeur ... I begrudgingly accepted the coach's decision and hoped my practice habits would show my true abilities and worth. My plight was exasperated when genetics kicked in and a 14 year old growth spurt made my physique resemble the stereotypical lineman, proving my Jr coaches to be clairvoyant. As the high school experience played out, I moved laterally along the line, and finished it as a Tight End, or quasi-lineman.

When I made the transition from High School to University, I had dreams of making the move to an impact role, but I was "pigeon holed" yet again, despite being a sapling in a forest of mighty oaks. Who was I to complain, though? I started every game as a freshman, enjoying considerable success, eventually losing in the conference finals. Imagine my delight ... cue the sarcasm ... when I was rewarded for my hard work in the weight room, moving from Tight End to Guard for my sophomore year. Thankfully, maturity had struck my brain like it had my body, and I willingly adopted my new role. Yet again, the coaches proved to be fortune tellers as we made it all the way to the Vanier Cup game, the CIS version of the Super Bowl. Returning for my Junior year, I was surprised to see a change in offensive philosophy toward a "PRO" style scheme and was asked to go move laterally along the line again to almost the same. The new position was coined Wingback but, truth be told, I was still a lineman, both in body and soul, having embraced my value to the overall system. 

Where does this all lead, you might be pondering?

My life in the trench warfare of football has taught me some valuable life lessons:
  1. I don't need to be exalted, put on a pedestal, or shine in the spot light. The pride I feel for performing my task with military precision, clearing a path for the TEAM to succeed creates a warming glow in my soul. Do the drone bees who devote their whole lives to caring for the queen, constructing and protecting the nest, foraging for food, and tending the larvae begrudge their role? Like millions of examples in the natural world, life is about team work, with one role being no more important than the next.
  2. Regardless of the role, embracing the excellence that is required to complete the action at 100% effectiveness should be the aim. Having said that, it is incumbent on the more "visible" members to acknowledge the contributions of all members as valid and necessary for the team's success, and the rewards earned should be shared appropriately. Again, look to the natural world for countless examples of symbiotic relationships and colonies.
  3. We are a species that is populated by piano builders, piano players and piano movers. The concerts of life will not happen unless all involved work harmoniously to achieve the end goal and create extraordinary music. If giving out medals for tree climbing, the fish will never best the squirrel, nor should it be expected to since its skill set is a polar opposite. Embrace your strengths and talents while acknowledging your weaknesses and you'll be content with your station in life.
  4. Avoid a sense of entitlement. My father was a Queen's Hall of Famer. Being completely honest, the athletic gifts he bestowed upon my chromosomes put me on par with him. I could have chosen to react negatively to being viewed as a lineman, but I instead chose to embrace it, and in the process, made some of my dearest friendships toiling in the trenches at Queen's ... I'm talking about you Sam Ashton, Mike Schad, Steve Hudson, John Larsen, Frank Kakouris, Mark Oakley, Tom Stefopoulos, Chris Stefopoulos, Vince Panetta, Tony McDowell, Charlie Galunic. We are the masters of our destiny, not some otherworldly power, so get busy controlling what you can control and accepting what you cannot. It all boils down to your attitude! Former Notre Dame Football coach Lou Holtz says, "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it."
For what it's worth, those are my thoughts and opinions. 
Use them how you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment