Saturday 9 January 2021

Attitude determines Altitude!

Like many, I have fallen prey to more than my fair share of arguments, usually spurred by some topic that, at the time, I felt my opinion or knowledge was 100% correct. Oh, I've eaten more than my fair share of crow, but I can recall a number of occasions where I was right ... but so was the person I was having that animated discussion with. 

Age has taught me that it is indeed quite possible to both be right.

I don't know if it's the time of year, the isolation fatigue, the messiness of today's politics, or something yet unidentifiable, but I have found myself slipping into full curmudgeon every now and again, something a youthful version of me swore would never happen. When I recognize the transformation, a shake of the head and an internal re-evaluation of what truly matters is enough to lift me out of the hole I dug. With retirement, my need to feel right has become less consuming, allowing a welcomed complacency of to each his own, a consequence of a shift in my opinion of what is important toward more ethereal possessions like happiness, peace, and the quality of character in those I choose to surround myself with. You can't buy those on Amazon or at Walmart.

It is my view that we are increasingly bombarded from all sides with thoughts, images, and videos imploring us to chase bigger and better things, with the cleverly hidden message that pursuit of wealth and material gain is the ONLY course. 

Eschewing that mindset makes me atypical. 

Being truthful with myself, I would admit that I chose publicly funded education over business type pursuits those many years ago because I have always felt this way, the shrapnel of failed entrepreneurial attempts figuratively lying in piles at my feet. I embrace my values, never the lure of "keeping up with the Joneses" tugging at my soul. I'm confronted by symbols of this with each brisk walk around the neighbourhood, and my brow furls as I cast judgement on the ever-increasing size of residences springing up in my part of the world. This prompts internal queries of why a body would feel compelled to own something of such monolithic proportions. Case in point, Joyce and I have found our desires going in the other direction, embracing the idea of down-sizing our home and possessions in the pursuit of simplifying our lives, at least in our opinions.

Having said all of that, a simple shrug of my shoulders is the most common reaction these days. Just because I feel it's right for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone, and I'm perfectly content with that mindset. One of my favourite ideals ... and the desktop image on my trusty laptop ... espouses that Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it. The essence of this ideal is captured in the graphic at the beginning of this post ... it all boils down to perspective and how we choose to respond. I am right from where I stand, based on my experiences, but you are right for all the same reasons, and we should both be content to accept those differences as valid. You definitely don't need to argue, attack, harass or something worse, just to prove you're correct ... Are you listening Mr Trump?

Much like the Billy Jack folk song "One Tin Soldier", the value of my treasure is severely slanted to my personal ideals rather than some arbitrarily valued bobble. My wife and children are my diamonds, gold or jewels. They are the true fortune in my life, the things I value above all else. The naysayers will be quick to point out that it's easy to say that, given my retirement parameters, and although I will acknowledge the truth behind that argument, I will tell you that I don't surmise my opinion would change if the circumstances were altered. 

I have previously written that I feel strongly I married well. Joyce shares very similar sentiments when it comes to living one's own life and the ramifications of holding those opinions. We don't want for much, and while we are disappointed that the pandemic has hampered plans for travel, we are content with our day to day existence in a post-career life. We are beaming with the knowledge that both of our children have carried some of this with them into their adult lives, being generally happy and content with how it's playing out. Are there things they would change, if they could? Sure, but that's up to them to figure out what matters, and it would be unfair to rob them of that life experience.

As the old adage goes, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!" The late Gord Downey preached in a Tragically Hip ditty, "Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." 

Your attitude determines your Altitude. 

You can choose to be happy and content, and all that comes with that, or you can choose make life difficult, but understanding that how you respond to the life's events beyond your control will make all the difference. 

At least, that's the way it appears to me, from my side of the coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment