Saturday 30 January 2021

Retirement - 1 year later

That oh-so-familiar Old Spice whistle broke the quiet of my morning, signalling a text arrived at my phone. Upon opening it up, I was tickled to see that my buddy Ron had sent me a congratulatory message for my 1 year retirement anniversary. 

What an amazing FRIEND thing to do, eh?
And what a tremendous anniversary to celebrate!

The photo at the left was a part of a countdown I had created last January using famous jersey numbers from a variety of sports. I was lucky ... actually, I've been lucky throughout my working life ... that I was able to host a retirement party (Thanks again Fionn MacCool's in north Barrie) to thank so many friends for their well wishes, hugs, handshakes, and congratulations. It's such a satisfying, gratifying experience. I am still touched by the conversations I had with those that could fit the visit into their schedules that day.

Not everyone is as lucky as I am, unfortunately.
Those who retired in June of 2020 missed out.
Those retiring in January 2021 will also miss out.

Kelly Faye, a friend, former Central colleague, and parent of two awesome boys I was honoured to coach - Jeff and Andrew - recently pushed the button to retire, and was treated to a Drive-By retirement celebration with all Covid-19 measures in place. I couldn't be happier for Kelly and her husband Peter and I'll publicly vow to give Kelly a big hug and smile when the opportunity is granted.

Looking back on the past 12 months, there no shortage of post-worthy tidbits, that's for sure, and reviewing most of the list certainly bestows a Cheshire-sized grin to my face. I was privileged to be able to get south for a lengthy vacation in February/March, something Joyce and I had rarely had a chance to do prior to retirement. I was able to combine the trip south to Naples with some NCAA action, taking in a Mississippi State @ Kentucky in Lexington then Georgia @ Florida in Gainesville. Joyce and I were thrilled beyond measure when our daughter Maddi accepted a marriage proposal from her Boo, Chris. Despite the pandemic, I have been able to re-connect with a handful of former Central teachers turned friends with a weekly video chat, sharing stories of the week or years gone by. I was able to discover and embrace my new passion for cycling, and make some new cycling-centered friends. I was invited to share a memorable "To Hell with the Bell" celebration at Ron's cottage with Sue, Fiona and Clam. I probably should have started with the fact that I have been blessed with increased time my BFF and loving wife Joyce, and we've spent almost every day hiking the plethora of trails and wondrous elements of Simcoe County and beyond.

I have told many who have asked that I'm not sure which part of the past 10 months was pandemic and which part was retirement, but ban on travel aside, the affair has been profoundly satisfying. Sure, Joyce and I have places that we'd love to travel to, but the pandemic is a short-term thing so there's plenty of time left for that. 

Now that we've entered 2021, this will be the first FULL year without full time employment in what seems like a very long time, and we both have settled nicely into a relaxing routine of info gathering, reading, writing and activity. I'll admit that the pandemic has turned down the "Fun-Meter" a little but that's really a 1st world problem, isn't it? Plus, life is what you make it ... 10% what happens and 90% how you react to what happens ... so we'll be out there making it wonderful.

Keep your chin up folks!
Did you see those incredible Sun Dogs this morning?
Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment