Sunday 28 February 2021

Birthdays ... Gotta LUV 'em V3.0

Say what you wish, but who doesn't yearn to be a Magnificent Sparkle Beast? 

I'm closing in on the end of a very busy season for birthdays in my extended family. I received a comment from one of my relatives that they were enjoying the posts about various people in the FAM and were hoping I'd pen some thoughts about them too. I guess that pretty much makes the decision, doesn't it? 

The great thing about posts featuring members of our family is that, if you, my dear reader, are not interested, closing the browser window is pretty easy.

For those that have regularly inflicted my unceasing stream of thoughts upon their retinas and synapses, you'll recognize that March 1st is the numero uno BDay for the Porter clan because the it's the one that belongs to the Matriarch ... the Mama ... the Grand Dame ... our mother Andrea. I already included my note to her in "Birthdays ... Gotta LUV 'em V2.0" so I'll choose not to re-do my tidal wave of compliments. She knows how much love I have for her. 
Happiest Birthday wishes and thoughts Mom!

March 3rd will be my nephew Jackson's 22nd. Jackson is my brother Rob's second born son. While first born son Marcus is physically "a chip off the ol' block", Jackson is physically more influenced by his Mom's side of the family. I went to university, studied biology/genetics, got the piece of paper and I'm still flabbergasted by the repercussions from that incredible double-helix strand of nucleotides' impact on offspring. Jackson couldn't be any more physically different than Marcus, but it's how they're similar in so many other ways that is even more profound, when you stop to think about it. Is that Nature? Or is that Nurture? Regardless, I have a pretty high opinion of the young man my nephew has turned out to be. He's always had a good work ethic, possesses an aptitude for the trades and fell head long into a love affair with cars, in particular, his Subaru GRX. He has great people skills, a wonderful sense of humour, is quick witted and loyal. A pretty good list of qualities, If I do say so, and I know that Rob and Jen are thrilled with the young man he's turned out to be. Following a pretty polished high school experience which included some standout athletic performances, Jackson has discovered the Ying to his Yang in fellow BNC alum Drew Copping, completing a mini Circle of Life. I coached Drew's father Ryan in Royals back in the day, and Drew was on my first Sr Girls' Basketball team when I moved to North and now she's the apple of nephew's eye. I happen to think that's pretty cool because I personally think the world of her after spending some quality together!
Happy birthday Jackson! I have every confidence that Drew will make sure you're spoiled!

March 17th will feature a boat load of revellers using the ready made excuse of celebrating St Patrick's Day to treat themselves to a healthy dose of liquid refreshments. While that is pretty awesome, I'll raise at least one glass of Proper 12 myself because it also happens to be my niece Teresa's birthday ... her 21st to be specific. She is my brother Dave's first born. Although extremely shy as a child, Teresa has grown into an amazing young woman who is Uber intelligent, introspective, empathetic, compassionate, and possesses a biting sarcastic wit, a trait that she has her Dad to thank for. Like so many young adults, she has had to endure the ridiculous impact that this pandemic has had on her post-secondary studies, having spent 2nd and 3rd year learning on-line. As expected, she's rolled with the flow and has continued to excel, despite the craziness. I know that Dave and my sister-in-law Cheryl as proud as peacocks.
Wishing you all the happiness and joy possible on your birthday Teresa!

Whew!
That was a busy stretch for our family!
It's pretty quiet for a little while so you'll have to wait a bit for V4.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment