Monday 22 February 2021

What're ya at?

Like the Great Big Sea song "What're ya at?", espousing the proper greeting to a friend from down home, I'm curious to know how everyone is holding up in light of our collective set of circumstances, since it's been a while since we were actually face to face.

The past few weeks have affected me more than I'd really like to admit. 

I've been reminded of people I lost in the past (Mark Ramolla and My Father), I've lost friends to Covid-19 (Dave Selvaggi), I've run into some friends I haven't talked to in a while (Peter Kalbfleisch, Diane + Doug Eves, Steve Middleton), I laughed my way through a few Retired Central Old Farts Zoom calls, and smiled at some neat things that happened in the lives of loved ones and friends (Keaton's BD, Maddi's wedding plans, Kelly Faye retiring). 

I've already written about some of these happenings, but it got me thinking about the "state of the union" right now, my former career in education, and the really great people I have come to call friends. 

The photo at the top left is a group of former Central colleagues whom I shared a number of years with rep'ing the Red, White and Black. We laughed A LOT, cried a little, steered a boatload of kids in a good direction, and built lives that were chock full of great memories. This particular photo was taken by me (at least I think it was me and why I'm not in it) at one of the Kempenfelt Cups soon after Central closed. If you were a student at Central, you'll likely recognize some faces, but in the event that your memory has been filled with adult-ing things, from left to right are Neil Mavor (now BCK), Drew Forsyth (now BNC), Rich Jessome (now BNC), Sue Berardi (Now RETIRED), Peter Kalbfleisch (now ESS), Robin Malandrino (now ISS), Ron Andrews (now RETIRED) and Craig Banks (now ISS). These people, as well of so many others not shown there, are tremendous humans and I'm proud to have them in my life.

I still stay in touch with these folks, thanks to the pandemic it's largely through Social Media and chance encounters along the trails that Barrie-ites boast so much about, but I truly find there's a small emptiness in me that used to be filled with the daily zaniness we found ourselves in. Who amongst those that went to Central doesn't recall the zany Teacher's Assembly without smiling widely? Now, extrapolate that times 190 ... the number of teaching days in a school year. Get the picture? This isn't penned to be another "Damn you for closing BCC" rant or a "Pining for the good ol' days" whine, but rather a tip of the hat or Hey 'sup nod to some epic shenanigans that left a deep impression on my soul.

As we age, inevitable health concerns arise that impact our lives or the lives of those we care about. 

A shining ray of light arrived the other day with an email from one of the retired Central Old Farts Club. Ed Leach shared news that his wife Nancy had a nearly perfect surgery following her many weeks of chemo and is now on the mend. The smile that crossed my wrinkly old face as I read the email prompted an inquiry from Joyce about what could make me react that way. Needless to say, we were both very pleased for Ed and Nancy. I hope that this means the stress of the unknown future will subside.

I just found out that the previously mentioned Sue Berardi will be facing some minor, but still serious, surgery that will require some challenging recovery, requiring her family to take up the slack. If you know Sue at all, you'll immediately understand how significant that slack will be. If my Joyce is SuperMom, Sue is her long lost twin sister. She "mothered" the residents of Rm 119 for years so I feel strongly that I have a valid opinion on this, and I know Ron, Pete, C'Nut and Sweezey will back me up on it. Don't fret ... She assures me that she will be fine, but it still causes a pause for reflection.

Joyce and I were out for a walk, like we do almost everyday right now, and the conversation eventually settled on the changes we have made in our health since I retired. Making the time to be active regularly is obviously easier in retirement, but it's also a consequence of relocating your focus to bring stuff forward from the "back burner". Does that mean that we won't be faced with some sort of change in our health in the future? Of course not, but it does mean that we'll be more equipped to handle it, from a mental viewpoint anyway. I am finding that we both are in a really good head-space right now, likely due to a refocus on things that truly matter to us, discovered while conversing about a myriad of topics as we stride ourselves into improved health.

The more I think about things, the more I am convinced that the single greatest stress of the pandemic-imposed conditions we are all so weary of is the diminished opportunity to share moments of human connection with those that we have grown to care about. Zoom, Facetime, Skype, or whatever the platform is, for me anyway, is a simple stop-gap measure that will never replaced the real thing because the algorithms of the platform create an awkward conversational metric that is significantly, and uncomfortably, slower like a governor on a golf cart. Video will never be a quality substitute for our eye's ability to detect the sparkle of friendship in the faces looking back at us as we boast, recall, conjecture or tease the ones we surround ourselves with.

I'm coping okay under the threat of Covid-19. I'm weary of the restrictions, but okay none the less.

I'm not trying to diminish the very valid feelings of others who feel they are struggling, but for Joyce and my personal situation, happiness is the prevalent emotion from day to day. We're still gripping the handles of the roller coaster car, with all of it's chattering ascents, plummets of terror and careening loop the loops, but the key is we're no longer fearful of the future, likely a residual of a contentment with our situation. 

Soooo ... What're ya at?

No comments:

Post a Comment