Wednesday 4 January 2023

Armchair QB

I feel qualified to entertain some powerful opinions about football, the America style to my European friends. I played throughout my teens in high school and into my university years, was passionate about performing at a high level, and was fortunate enough share in some pretty amazing successes, if I do say so myself. While today's football is akin to a modern Gladiator spectacle with all of its brutality, violence, and testosterone-infused intensity, the fact remains, those that love it, LOVE IT, especially here in North America. The epitome of American football is the NFL, an opinion shared by the multitude, and supported by the billions of dollars generated by its existence. 

This past Monday, the spectre of reality hit when Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin, 24, suffered a cardiac arrest after making a tackle during that night's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. He is currently sedated and in critical condition (source). Hamlin was attended to immediately by medical staff, with players from both teams surrounding him, many of them visibly emotional. After Hamlin was taken to the hospital, officials spoke with coaches from both teams. The decision was then made to suspend play, with players and coaches exiting the field to the locker room, before the game was ultimately postponed. With all of its glitz and glamorization, the NFL strives to give the fans the impression that its players are a breed of warriors that are super-human, not bound by the laws of nature like you and I. 

Sadly, the truth is so far from that, and Damar's affliction is the proof in the pudding.

The football I recall was both amazing and exhilarating. My team mates and I strove to be in the best possible level of conditioning we could manage, but pales in comparison to the levels that today's NFL athletes exhibit, a fact that flies in the face of what happened to Hamlin after what seemed like a perfectly innocuous play. The news reports after the fact have included expert opinions from cardiologists claiming that Commotio Cordis was the cause, though that remains to be confirmed, where a precise set of conditions unfold that cause ventricular fibrillations that significantly impair cardiac function. Although exceedingly rare, this condition has afflicted more people than I would have guessed, the Hamlin injury raising long forgotten memories in a few people that I know personally ... I see you Jeff!

My long-time friends will recall that I represented Barrie Central Collegiate in a number of sporting activities, but thanks to the leadership, guidance and support of Dave Garland and Bruce Clark, I chose to give football a try at the post-secondary level. Those same long-time friends will also recall that my father, Terry Porter, became a member of the Queen's University Football Hall of Fame when it was established in 1986, so the choices of which university program I could tryout for were best summed up by my D.O.D. (Dear Old Dad) when he informed me with a mischievous grin, "You can go anywhere you want, but I'm only paying for Queen's." The jokes on him though ... after a childhood of indoctrination thanks to many Queen's FB reunions, I didn't ever consider going anywhere else, and in retrospect, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Youthful exuberance in full play, the notion that I could experience a life-threatening condition as the result of what I was coached to do was the furthest thing from my mind, and hindsight perfectly focussed, is leaving me deeply contemplative, despite the statistics that bely the chances. 

Should I support my future grandchildren from participating in football, rugby, hockey or any other collision sport, considering the dangers that are so blatantly evident? Prior to Monday, the answer would have been 100% YES, but I have to admit that the percentage has slid backwards a shade. My son Keaton realized his rugby dream of wearing the Maple Leaf, only to be forced into retirement thanks to injury, a set of circumstances that could possibly prompt a deep discussion when he advises his own children's pursuit of excellence. To be honest, the positives FAR exceed the negatives, but it does bear pause for concern.

My heart goes out to Hamlin and his family as they navigate this terrible situation, and I pray that he not only puts the repercussions of it behind him, but realizes his life's NFL dream again sometime in the future. As comrades in arms, the rank and file of football generations send positive healing vibes that the situation has a happy ending, but like so many tragedies, there's always a silver lining ... as of my last search, Hamlin's charity Toy Drive's GoFundMe campaign has reached over $4 million, and will profoundly impact the families that will receive support.

Stay safe out there folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment