Friday 13 January 2023

To be or not to be

I saw this graphic on social media and it really struck me as profound. 

Should you not recognize the name Kurt Vonnegut, he is "one of the most influential American writers and novelists of the 20th century. Vonnegut is best known for writing Slaughterhouse-Five (1969), Cat's Cradle (1963), and Breakfast of Champions (1973). His works are a blend of science, satire and black comedy." (source) My 20 year old self would have thought your head made of swiss cheese if you suggested you just do something for fun.

I have been involved in athletics all of my life, even going back to my earliest memories, and I have revelled in the competition that ensued. To that end, I embraced our credo at Barrie Central RFC of Go Hard or Go Home as an mindset that has always resonated with me, much the the embarrassment of my parents. You see, I was prone to bleats of vulgarity if things didn't go as planned when I was a wee lad, a by-product of yearning to be the best. Although my outbursts became internal over the years, they resonated through my skull throughout the high school and university years, but occasionally boiled over the lip when I was coaching ... I'm a talker-type coach meaning I'm rarely quiet during the action ... when the frustration levels from execution challenges with my players reached critical mass.

Being so actively involved in a variety of competitions and the training required to excel, I didn't seek as many creative experiences, partially because I was so busy, but partially because I didn't place them high on the totem pole of value. Sure, I tried music endeavours like piano and guitar, and despite my half-hearted attempts, still strum the Ol' 6-string once in a blue moon, but the echos of that credo steered me away from devoting the necessary time to fall in love with them. 

If I'm honest, I wish I had encountered Vonnegut's words earlier in my life. I've always held tremendous respect for those that ensued a life in the Arts. 

I love to sing, and although I am not very talented, it wasn't until my much laters years that I overcame my stage fears, joining in the Barrie Central Teacher's Assembly shenanigans like barbershop quartet or teacher band. Truth be told, my children would have preferred I didn't conquer those trepidations as they sat squeamishly in the audience when the D.O.D. cackled his way through some amateur efforts. 

Similarly, I stare in awe at those that are talented with brush or pencil as they make the transition from mind to paper/canvass look almost magical. 

I have an old friend that I first met in Gr 8, Bruce Chalmers, whom I marvelled for his talent, and he segued that into a pretty nifty career as a graphic artist (Bruce's instagram). You might even recognize some of his work as the designer of the fantastical beer can artwork for Barrie's Flying Monkeys Brewery.

I have also had the privilege of teaching a boat load of young folk who, quite frankly, should have been in a reversed role with me, their talent readily evident back then. One such young man that immediately comes to mind is Wade Turner (Wade's Instagram), a graduate of Sheridan's animation program and professional artist. 

Thanks to technology, the Arts have expanded to include easier access for the artistically challenged like myself. For those that know me, you'll already be aware that I love to get behind the lens of a good camera, especially if it involves some sort of competition, a habit likely stemming as much from my Go Hard of Go Home days than some artistic flair that finally percolated to the surface. Obviously, the muse has hit me with this whole Blog thing, and I'd wager it's no surprise writing is a newly held passion. Don't let me snow you, I'm still more competitive than most, much to chagrin of my darling wife who looks at me with incredulity as I "kill" myself (her words) spinning way on my indoor trainer all winter. However, being just good enough to really enjoy those artistic pursuits, and gathering value by simply doing them, is perfectly fine at this time in my life.

Back to Vonnegut's words, I'll leave it up to you as to whether it makes me a more interesting person.

No comments:

Post a Comment