Friday 28 April 2023

Bob Dylan: The times they are a changin'

For the sake of background clarity, I coached other people's kids for 34 years. 

In 30 of those 34 years, it was an unstated expectation by Joe Public and the admin of the school that I should include coaching to my duties as a contracted teacher, and if I'm honest, I really didn't need the silent "push" to step into the role. I've written on this subject in the past, but in case you're new to this Blog, or you didn't read some of those earlier posts, the main thrust behind my passion to coach was directly linked to the actions of coaches (teachers + community types) I had growing up because activities like sports were a HUGE part of why I had a positive school experience. In its truest essence, I felt honour-bound to "pay it forward" so that those I could potentially influence had the same positive opportunities as I enjoyed. At the risk of coming across arrogant, looking at my coaching resume, I humbly offer that I was Uber successful in that choice. 

You're a Doubting Thomas? Send me a private message (sporter@scdsb.on.ca) and I'll send you the list.

I was helping out a friend recently because he needed a supply replacement, and since he was at Barrie North I chose to say, "Sure, I can do that" when he reached to me with the query. Since ol' BNC was my old stomping grounds, and it was spring, that meant that there was a high probability that there'd be a rugby practice on the field after school hours. 
If this situation presented itself in my past, I'd be all over it "like white on rice"...
"like a fat kid on a Twinkie" ...
"like a dog on a bone" ...
"like government money on a bad idea" ...
But I realized on the stroll out to the field that something was amiss. I was eager to go, but I wanted just to observe and not get involved.

I've been retired for 3 years now. It dawned on me that my coaching passion pilot light has gone out.

Truth be told, being 3 years out, it would have been weird if I dove in, or more appropriately, was welcomed to dive in because, while some of the players recognize me as the old North guy on the sidelines with the camera, I have not built the trusting respectful coach-player relationship with them, so it would have all the trappings of an awkward interaction.

I had become the old fart who's REP carried weight, but was akin to a paratrooper, just dropping in out of the sky, more or less unannounced.

Well, without spoiling the plot, I watched, made some mental notes, and avoided looking the part of some unscrupulous lurker. I wasn't 100% successful in carrying out the task because I felt compelled to pull some of the Gr 12's who knew me aside for a tip here, or a subtle change there, but those mental notes were carefully stored away for quick retrieval when the actual coaches and I could share a quiet conversation and an adult beverage. The two fine gentlemen leading the charge are younger versions of the same guy I was, and while they gushed great respect my way, it was their turn as to lead the troops, and I shouldn't do anything to jeopardize that.

I still love being at high school games, ESPECIALLY my passions like rugby or basketball, but these days the focus has altered. I enjoy the spectacle rather than the X's + O's, and I dearly love capturing the moment with my trusty Nikon since it brings the players such joy to have some quality (again, humble opinion) action shots for their 'gram' or 'snap'. The huge smiles and excited guffaws that erupt from them as they scan the shots on the LCD charge my batteries to full power for a sustained period.

Am I sad that the flame is faltering?

The quick answer is NO, if I'm honest. The long answer contains some caveats tied to confidence in my abilities ... confidence, not arrogance ... to add value to the challenge and potentially to skew the outcome. Some soul searching on the drive home to 'The Beach' brought to light the truth. I was ready to leave coaching and become a fan
... life on the other side of the pitch / court / field
... life on the other side of the whistle

Oh, 🎶the times they are a changin'🎶

No comments:

Post a Comment