Friday 14 April 2023

Je m'appelle Monsieur P

Just a short one today ...

All Y'all know that I am supply teaching here and there, mostly at Elmvale and North because they're the ones I choose to fill in for. Both of the ladies in the admin team that are in charge of supply bookings have me on speed dial ... or more appropriately, speed text. When I went into the supply web site and filled in all the details of what I am qualified to cover and what I'm willing to cover ... NOT the same thing! ... I actively chose to click on a variety of subjects because I truly feel that any teacher worth anything can make a wide assortment of supply jobs work. Having said that, the best part of supply teaching is that you don't have to say yes if you don't wish to!

The Old Spice Whistle went off yesterday, and a quick peek revealed a message from Elmvale. When I had a chance to read it after class (I was a supply English teacher), it was a quick request if I'd be willing to cover a French absence. Well, I don't mind telling you that my old Gr 9 French teacher "Wild" Bill Simmons (RIP) would be turning backflips at the thought that little Stevie Porter was heading the quest to stamp out ignorance in a French class. My recollection of French covers ordering a pint 'n a pound (chicken wings) HaHaHa! I even had to use Google Translator to make sure I could spell Monsieur correctly. The only full sentence of French I can confidently repeat is from an old ditty called Lady Marmalade that was making the rounds during my high school years, "Voulez vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?" C'mon, at least admit that you just found yourself humming it as you read that last sentence. Be honest!

I pecked out a reply that I'd be happy to help, but if they could find a warm body that also spoke French, I wouldn't be offended. 

If you know anything about education these days, you're likely grinning right now.

Quel surprise! They couldn't find anyone so here I sit at Elmvale DHS covering Gr 9 and 10 French. The bonus of the day was that the teacher I'm covering was into the school in the early morn (she's at the SCDSB office today for PD) so I could seek some clarification of the day's plans. As the periods played out, wee scraps of recollection percolated to the surface, making me slightly more useful than a chocolate tea pot, but the kids humoured me despite my misgivings.

As the day's end was signalled by the bell, I'd have to admit that it was a positive experience. I really shouldn't be surprised after all, the students at EDHS are a nice group and the teacher I was filling in for had left some interesting activities that captured their attention for a sustained length. I've accepted placings at EDHS often enough now that some kids recognize my grizzled old face, and in a number of cases, seem genuinely happy to see me again. 

Now if that doesn't charge the batteries up, I'm not sure what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment