Tuesday 20 June 2023

I wish I had met him!

Our daughter Maddison fell hard for the son of Oshawa high school sweethearts who recently reacquainted themselves with their O'Neill CVI graduating class of 1980. Life proceeded as it almost always does, leading to beachside nuptials joining Chris Cove's family with ours. The courtship and subsequent wedding weekend allowed Joyce and I the opportunity to create a new friendship, a chance crossing of our Life's paths.

Tony and Cheryl Cove, as previously stated, were O'Neill high sweethearts, and judging by the quality of human they both are, it's highly probable that their cadre of friends was expansive and varied. Cheryl recently shared a Blog ... y'all know I'm a sucker for great writing ... penned by a OCVI friend, Lynn Martin, that embraced the memory of a fellow classmate who passed from a courageous battle with cancer. 

Meet Peter Bacon.

Reading the piece, I became both dour and enlightened at the same time as the image of a truly amazing individual slowly materialized, the focus sharpening to 4K quality with a simple YouTube video. What sticks with me is the brutal honesty of the horrible damage cancer and its treatment have on the inflicted, but despite that, the incandescent glow of Peter's smile combined with his obvious passion for music is heartwarming and delightful. 

Below are Lynn's own words ... She's obviously a gifted writer, compassionate, and empathetic. After reading her piece, I was immediately saddened that he passed and that I never had the privilege. 

Thanks to Lynn!

And thanks Tony and Cheryl for gifting your son to our world. 
We are DEF pleased that our paths crossed!

When Paths Cross
Have you ever given thought to the number of people we cross paths with in our lifetime and the impact they may have in doing so? Some we may only meet for a brief moment in time, some ebb and flow in and out of our life over the years, some are a constant for the duration of our time here on earth. It is in the crossing of paths we feel the impact of that person touching our life, for however long that may be.

I was recently reminded of this kind of impact through a long-lost fellow classmate, someone I had not seen in 40+ years. Allow me explain. 

In May 2020, my graduating year from high school was planning a 40th reunion. Unfortunately, Covid put an abrupt halt to those plans, but after 2 1/2 years of rescheduling numerous times, in October 2022, we finally managed to get a date on the calendar.

Thus our 40+2 reunion happened.

I feel so fortunate to have had a very positive experience in high school. I had a wonderful group of friends and a solid place to fall while navigating my teen years. I recognize this is not the case for everyone. What I find most interesting in having the opportunity to reunite as adults, thus crossing paths once again, is to listen to everyone’s stories and experiences, how they perceived life in those formative teen years and of course, where life has taken them.

As adults, the differences &/or misconceptions we may or may not have felt as teenagers, all but fade away as we share laughter and stories of our memories and experiences of those days we spent together oh so long ago. While in the midst of planning our reunion, one of our committee members shared with us that sadly, one of our former high school classmates had just been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer.
His journey & his openness to share his experience, is largely what prompted this post.

Peter Bacon was a talented musician, remembered by anyone who attended our high school in that era. To be honest, I didn’t know Pete all that well in those days, our paths didn’t cross a whole lot in our social circles, but I certainly knew who he was. He was that cool guy, much too cool for the likes of me, who blew us away with his talent, as he cranked out tunes on the piano during our Folk Club concerts.
Until recently, I knew even less of what Pete’s life had become beyond that era. But it seems our paths were destined to cross once more, through his candid and open attitude in sharing his challenging journey.
What struck me most in every message he shared, in spite of the diagnosis he was facing, was his positive attitude, his never-ending sense of optimism, his immense gratitude for each and every day he was gifted, and for all of the love bestowed upon him.

Sadly Peter lost his fight with his cancer on May 10, 2023. A few weeks after his death, Peter’s family extended an open invitation to share in his Celebration of Life, live-streamed from Cabos, Mexico, where Pete resided and performed for the past number of years. I found myself opening my computer and listening to his family and friends honouring his life, learning so much about the classmate I once knew briefly, so many years ago. I learned of a man who lived his life doing what he loved most, entertaining & touching the lives of people who had the opportunity to hear his music. His smile, his goofy faces, his love for music and his positive energy shone through in every picture, every video and every person that spoke about him.

As his Celebration of Life drew to a close, I closed my computer and found myself uttering, “WOW”, out loud. Although Pete’s life was taken much too soon, I couldn’t help but think what a full & glorious life he lived.

Peter, thank you for inadvertently and perhaps even unknowingly, meandering back across my path. Thank you for reminding me how very precious life is and that regardless of the challenges we are facing, there is joy to be found in each and every moment we are gifted. I wish your family and those closest to you, lighter hearts in the days ahead, as they move forward without your physical presence. May they find peace in knowing you were surrounded in love, and clearly left an impact on each and every life you touched. I hope wherever you are, you are have found yourself a piano, once again basking in the sharing of your joyous gift of both music and love.

We can never know the impact we may make in crossing paths with people as we make our way through life. I encourage you to carefully & lovingly leave your footprint in the most positive way possible.
I leave you with one of Pete’s inspiring videos he shared, post brain surgery & in the midst of treatment. His attitude inspires me and I have no doubt he will forever be held in the hearts of all who loved him. 
Play on my friend! 

I am ever so grateful our paths crossed.
Hugs,
Lynn Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment