Sunday 8 September 2019

Life as a coaching widow

For the 1000’s of students that I have interacted with over my career, it will come as no surprise for them that I think the world of my wife Joyce. I say this because those students know that I invested A LOT of time with them which, by default, means I stole those minutes + hours from Joyce. The best praise I can give her is that she is the CONSUMATE mom … there is nothing that she wouldn’t give to her kids. It just so happens that this 275 lb, furry person is really one of her kids too, so giving me the license to chase my passions was all part of her super powers.

Joyce and I first got to know one another in Kingston while I was still an undergrad at Queen’s U. We worked together at a local waterfront establishment called Pumpers, a part of the old Firehall restaurant. We were good friends long before the spark of romance … likely the reason that we enjoy each other’s company so much now. The point of all of this is that she was well aware of the place that athletics held in my psyche. As our relationship grew, she had a front row seat for my growing coaching passions and, true to her nature, she supported them fully.

In my first post, I talked about starting my coaching career at LCVI in Kingston. I made a lot of mistakes back then … I know that now, after so many years … but I felt strongly that even an inexperienced coach can give kids a chance at the benefits of athletics, something that was certainly a large part of the person I have become. I also wrote that I was handed over the reins to many of the intermediate teams at Maple Grove PS in my first year of teaching. I REALLY enjoyed coaching, but it helped that I had some really great kids who were also amazing athletes! They would go on to do some pretty awesome things later on in their careers … more on them later … this post is about Joyce. We were newly married, no kids yet, and she supported the early departures / late returns, listening intently to the stories of Johnny or Suzie doing this or that. As the years rolled on, our 1st born Maddison arrived and our lives changed immensely, so it made perfect sense to my testosterone-soaked brain to become MORE involved. I added club basketball to the list of minute-stealers. Of course, she was okay with all of it, as long as I was home to help get the kids … by now Keaton had arrived … fed, bathed and in bed before heading out again. Sounds crazy now, writing about it these many years later. During those toddler years I also decided to use some of the summer months to get involved with Basketball Ontario’s Junior Development Program which meant stretches of 5 or 6 nights away from home. Super Mom handled it the same way she always did … all smiles and hugs. Who needs to Lottery when you marry that well?

If you’re still reading this and I taught / coached you after Y2K happened, you are acutely aware that the minute-stealers grew, and Super Mom continued to flex her support muscles. While I thoroughly enjoyed my elementary experiences … I haven’t even talked about them yet … I arrived at a mindset that I needed to make the change to the secondary system where I could get access to older athletes and more structured competition. Getting hired at my old high school, Barrie Central, was a dream come true! All of the fantastic-ness of the red-black-white of my youth could now become a part of my “pay if forward” mentality. Of course I’ll coach all three seasons! Of course I’ll join the GBSSA executive! Of course I’ll ask Joyce to share even more! As I sit here with my laptop in its place, reminiscing about those days, I shake my head at how we both balanced it all.

By the early days of high school, both Maddi and KP were interested in sports and our family was going “seven ways to Sunday” with all of the things we were willing to agree to. How we were able to organize ourselves to fit it all into 24 hours still makes my head spin. Yet again, Super Mom held the family together by telling me to make choices that would allow it all to happen because she knew full well that I need reminding that being a dad to my own kids was just as important as being dad to my school kids.

As the high school years rolled on, Maddi and KP became more focused on the sports that they really wished to invest time in and organizing our family meant that I had to choose to coach teams that one of my kids was involved in … NOT COACH LESS, just use the minutes as a dad. Since Maddi chose swimming and I really didn’t float, KP got the lion’s share of my time … You’ll have to ask him if that was a good thing … I think I know the answer but better safe than sorry. It was during this time that Basketball Ontario recruited me to become involved with Team Ontario which led to being involved with Basketball Canada’s grassroots as well. If that’s not enough, my involvement with GBSSA grew into involvement with OFSAA and its executive council. During it all, Super Mom organized our family, held it together on the home front, and even saved some love for me after dealing with our kids all day. Despite all of this, she became a sports lover, sitting on the sidelines with a HUGE grin and cheering her kids as they learned the harsh life lessons associated with competition. With both of them excelling, that meant travel to meets / tournaments, hotels, packing meals and managing logistics … all, of course, done with flawless efficiency.

So, with all of this, you’d think that I’d choose to take a few things off my plate, to make things easier for Joyce with managing our home. If you know me at all, you already know that answer … NOT … sort of. I did choose to take some things off my plate, but I convinced her that I could make some extra cash by getting hired to coach the Men’s Basketball program at Georgian College. I stepped away from OFSAA and traded it for something that took up twice the volume of time. Super Mom was there, all smiles, but she did insist that I had to include KP in it so that she could handle things at home and in the pool. Really? That’s it? I can’t wait to sign up! To sweeten the deal, I chose to trade summer basketball for summer rugby when Rugby Ontario came calling and KP could continue to trail along, becoming an unofficial mascot for all of those teams before getting old enough to make Team Ontario on his own … more on that later.

As both of our children outlived their elementary experience, the choice on where to attend high school was pretty much the same as my choice of university. For those reading that don’t know, my father was a Hall of Fame football player for Queen’s in the early 60’s and I was indoctrinated early. He would always joke, “You can go anywhere you want for university … but I’m only paying for Queen’s!” Maddi and KP got the same treatment with their high school so, of course, they chose to attend Central. I’d really like you all to believe this was a part of some master plan to take some pressure off my darling wife. If both kids and husband were at the same school then that would make logistics so much easier, right? Oh, you silly reader … that wasn’t it at all! I wanted them to go to Central because it was the best high school in Barrie! The rest of that was a fringe benefit! Whatever the intention, the end result was that life did get slightly … SLIGHTLY … less hectic and Super Mom was able to still be cheerleader “Numero Uno” as the entire family lived and breathed the red-black-white of Central. Which is not to say that there weren’t any bumps in the road but I’m proud to say that we found ourselves enjoying each other’s company on a more consistent basis.

Which brings our relationship to where it is now. Both of our children are enjoying living as an adult and have their own place to call their own. With my (Our?) decision to retire from coaching, we can actually spend quality time together. Think of it like a training camp for retirement! Having said that, you all know that I couldn’t go “Cold Turkey” so I’m still a part of the Georgian Men’s Rugby Program for this fall. True to form, Joyce supports me 100% … although I suspect just a weensy little bit of that is so she gets some alone time. She’s never been married to a hubby to was around a lot so why start now? 

She really is the best and I love being her guy!




No comments:

Post a Comment