Sunday 1 September 2019

My first attempt at a BLOG!

Thoughts from a meandering mind after 29 years in education!
If you're reading this, (a) you were invited to take a look at some thoughts I've amassed over 29 years spent in education, both in elementary and secondary classrooms, and (b) you're interested enough in what I may or may not say to click the link to get here! Thanks for visiting! This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone reading!
An educational friend of mine, Dan De Souza, wrote a blog over his final year (http://teach1coach1.blogspot.com/) and shared it via Facebook. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what he had to say and I thought that I would take a shot at the same thing. For me, this will be a smattering of experiences, lessons learned, thoughts on things that I find fascinating, pet peeves and maybe even some unpopular opinions. You can choose to read ... or not ... but I will faithfully add to this blog over my final semester.
Soooo here's how I'd like to start ...One thing I wish everyone would know about me is that I LOVE teaching! If I could come to a school, unlock the door, greet my students, help them find their way along the twisting pathway of learning new skills and knowledge, AND get to know them a bit in the process ... Well, that would be outstanding! I'd teach until I was even more old and grey than I am now!
Unfortunately, what drives me up the wall is the education system! I have taught through a number of educational ministers and their parties, through changes in educational philosophies (Whole language anyone? Pod teaching? Holistic learning? EQAO? SPARK?), through changes in family dynamics + expectations and two work stoppages! I know it's not a popular opinion for "Joe Public" but I really wish those that get to make the changes would ask for input/advice from those who will have to stand in front of kids ... and parents ... and deliver those changes. There's LOTS of experience available for the asking from generations of educational professionals.
After 29 years of those PLUSES and MINUSES, I have decided that, while I loved the student experiences of teaching and coaching, I think that I'll try something else for those remaining "working" years I have left. Besides, if old buzzards like me stick around, there are some really talented young folk entering the system that they don't get contracts and I have personally seen some really good ones choose to leave. That is not meant to be a shot at teachers who choose to stay passed their eligible retirement date ... their life is their concern, not mine. I am stating that I feel that my time has come. I have enjoyed 98% of my time teaching and coaching ... yes, there were SOME days that I'd rather forget ... and I take with me experiences and accomplishments that I am Uber proud of!
I really confused people last spring when I announced via social media that I was retiring from coaching. Some read that as I was retiring from teaching ... an easy mistake to make considering that my social media presence is filled with the trials and tribulations of the various teams I was involved with. The decision to retire from the most enjoyable portion of teaching ... I hope that none of my former administrators take offence to that ... was a tough one. I started coaching in high schools 31 years ago when I was allowed to assist with the Jr Football team and Sr Basketball team at LCVI in Kingston, even before I was hired to teach on contract. I really felt strongly that teacher-coaches had given me their time, energy and expertise and I was honour-bound to "pay if forward". Once I was hired, I started my career in primary (more on that in the future) and was "gifted" the majority of the Intermediate sports in the school. I'm pretty sure that I coached 5 teams that year! That started 29 straight years of coaching each season of the school year and, to be honest, I figured I had "paid it forward" enough. Besides, teaching only the first semester would mean I could only do the fall season since the winter season includes both semesters ... I couldn't fathom starting something and not finishing it ... and I would really like to have the experience of only worrying about teaching my assigned classes. It's not that I don't feel those students-athletes are worth it but rather, I'd like to see what I can accomplish with my students when my energy is solely focused on them! I've never done that before!
So, this semester will include my last educational Labour Day, my last school start, my last "Meet the Creature" night, my last midterm + final report cards ... It will be a rollercoaster that I can't wait to ride!

2 comments:

  1. A great start Coach. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna enjoy this as well! You were such a fun and great teacher and also an excellent coach. Good luck and happy retirement

    ReplyDelete