Monday 2 December 2019

Beware the Dark Side ... of the court!

If you've read some of these posts, it comes as no shock that I have crossed over ... not in the Heavenly sense though ... Crossed the court, the pitch, the field to sit on the "Dark" side with the fans and parents. If this is your first read, you're likely thinking, "Why would P not be coaching?" I won't answer that here - Click here for that blog - but I am (so far) enjoying being a fan.

The fall season was not too bad because I would have normally been coaching the Sr Girls. Now, before anyone calls Human Resources on me, you need to understand that while I really enjoyed the refreshing change of Sr Girls Basketball for all those years, my heart will always be to the Sr Boys Basketball program, with a couple of rare exceptions like 2011 (the girls know what I'm talking about). Sorry, but not sorry. I recently took in the Sr Boys home opener of North vs Collingwood and it certainly prompted a very different set of feelings. I harboured a nervous ache prior to taking my seat that I would be enticed to offer advice, input or modifications but I steeled my resolve to play my role as fan ... cheer but don't coach ... Oh, the blog post that could discuss the lack of that discipline by fans and parents over the years ... that post will never happen, though.

I was blessed to coach these guys for my
final 5 years of coaching!
Looking back to last winter, I have to admit that I was a little worried after last year's Sr Boys season because I wasn't sure who was going to be able to take over the program. A young teacher at North, Mike Alcombrack, was eager to take the reins but was very unsure what the future held for him with the changes being made to the Education System. Thankfully, Mike was able to secure full time employment at North and was "hot to trot" as the saying goes. Watching the lads battle under the watchful eye of Mike was a real treat because there's a TON of potential there with the returners, the juniors who moved up up, and a new-to-North point guard. Mike is a passionate guy and that's likely why we get along so well ... As Forest Gump says, "We're like peas and carrots" ... but the thing that others may not understand is that Mike is a very talented coach who creates and maintains really positive relationships with his players. Watching him interact with them during the game, I can see the players are prepared to work really hard for him. My only regret was that I had left my trusty Nikon at home so action shots will have to wait for the next home game ... Sorry guys!

Becoming a fan brings other benefits that I hadn't anticipated:
For one, I got to watch the game without having to think 3 steps ahead and that meant that there was a much higher level of enjoyment for this hoops junkie. Being able to appreciate the spectacle rather than planning to get the DUB was liberating!
Secondly, I found that I truly enjoyed the sheer spectacle of the game rather than analyzing and correcting misgivings of the players because they weren't "My Guys" ... it was okay that they missed the shot, or rebound, or box out because they were competing with all they had. I had missed a lot of that as a coach. Oh, let's set the record straight, I was all twisted up inside with some of the play as the coaching instincts bubbled to the surface, but I actually found myself laughing out loud as enjoyment became the forefront feeling.

One thing I thought would be a problem turned out to be a moot point. I was cognizant of thoughts that might question Mike's decisions because I confess to all of you that some of my successes on the court/pitch/field were directly tied to my confidence in myself to manage and adjust, so I prepared myself for those moments ... which thankfully never came. How great is that? I was able to be Cheerleader #1 for both Mike and the lads. The only negative of the night for me was having to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter because I had a date night with my wonderful wife that I wasn't about to be late for.

One last thought ... it dawned on me, as the game unfolded, where were the rest of the fans? I've never found myself pondering that in the past. If this is amazing entertainment was what high school sports offered, why was it only a handful of fans and family? It really is worth making the trip to your local school to support these teens as they learn the important stuff not covered in textbooks and lectures. If you're a sports fan, and you have the time to fill, you could really do yourself a favour by occupying your personal little space on the "Dark" side ... Trust me, you won't regret it.

BTW: I'm sorry to report that the Fighting Owls were a little better than the Vikings on that particular night. It's a long season, though, and I'm sure there will be plenty of action in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment