Sunday 15 December 2019

Put a little LUV in your heart

As the song lyrics by Annie Lennox and Al Green say, "Put a little love in your heart ..." It's well into December and I'm feeling an emptiness deep inside. I'm not depressed ... I have BCC Teacher's Assembly withdrawal. If you're reading this, and you have no idea what I'm talking about, I am deeply sorry that you missed one of the greatest holiday traditions that died an early, fiery death with the closure of Central in 2016. There are other schools that have holiday concerts ... Barrie North is one ... but with apologies, I'm completely biased about the phenomenon that was the annual display of creative genius filling the Fisher Auditorium on the last day prior to holidays. It was a long standing affair ... I vividly recall the ones from my years as a student at Central ... with a professional flair thanks to the incredible Fisher Aud full-sized stage, allowing for fan favs like the GAP commercials, Bare Naked Ladies, Sugar Plum fairies, and the Teacher's Rock Band. I was able to save videos of a few from my time at Central but I've yet to figure out how to post them for all to see since they are huge files. Here's a teaser ... Trailer for THE LAST BCC Teacher's Assembly Perhaps that adds to the mystique with witnesses having to rely solely on their own memories. There's a much needed smile across my face right now as I recall all of that silliness.

In the latest of my LAST experiences in education, I'm fast approaching my last holiday break and all of the pre-holiday excitement that fills a school. The Barrie North SAC posters about the dress-up themes are taped in a variety of locations, the "Ugly" sweaters have started to make appearances (including my own!), the Christmas Cheer campaign is ramping up and, with it, the excitement of the Kempenfelt Cup hockey tournament, and teachers are urging their students with overdue assignments to buckle down so that what few marks are still available are realized. It's always a VERY busy time in any high school.

I confess that lately I have found it a little too easy to slide into a negative mindset, thanks largely to the labour dispute and its political actions, so anything that helps brighten the mood is much appreciated. Thankfully, I really only need to be present in my classes each day to be supplied with numerous scenarios with uplifting qualities, things that make me laugh right out loud or burst with pride for the accomplishments of students fully engaged in their learning.

With a tip of the hat to David Letterman, here's my top ten recent smile-maker educational moments:
Number 10:
The sincere thanks and handshake of a young one in my class in appreciation of how much fun they had that day.
Number 9:
The honks and waves that far outnumber the single finger salutes as cars pass my colleagues and I as we do the sidewalk shuffle in our political battle with Ford Nation.
Number 8:
An "AHA" moment that was blessed on a photography student that I was reviewing an abstract technique with that resulted in that student rushing up to me later to share the results of that understanding, eyes sparkling and a look of pure excitement.
Number 7:
After communicating with a parent of a student that has struggled with attendance lately and expecting a lengthy string of excuses, I received a long reply thanking me for all of the time, understanding and care I have shown their child plus thanks for standing up to Ford Nation on behalf of all students.
Number 6:
The gratitude offered to me for helping a colleague with a holiday gift project that required some Photoshopping that was pretty simple but greatly appreciated.
Number 5:
The messages of encouragement and thanks that have been directed my way over email or social media for the effect that my involvement has had and prayers that I and my colleagues will be able to continue to fight for the preservation of a quality educational system.
Number 4:
During a spirited game of indoor soccer, one of my less athletically-gifted students completely "stood on his head" for a 15 minute shut out, to the consternation of his classmates, resulting in one of the greatest smiles of pride I've ever witnessed.
Number 3:
During the warm up of a recent boys' basketball game, an unprompted compliment about the effect that I've had on school sports over my career was offered over a firm handshake, a wide smile and pat on the back.
Number 2:
One of my photography students shared some pieces she created that knocked my socks off, displaying incredible creativity and skill, bringing a twinkle in my eye and a swell of hubris that warmed me thoroughly.
AND Number 1:
All the well wishes, congratulations and "Have you started counting the days?" questions from students, parents and colleagues as they recognize that the end of my final semester is not very far away, highlighted by my dear friend Ron Andrews who is organizing a Retirement Road Trip on my behalf ... details to follow.

As the saying goes, "ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING!" and I'm going to choose to have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment