Thursday 11 June 2020

Another victim of this pandemic

I recently received the news that the OCAA had decided, in response to the Corona Virus pandemic, to cancel this upcoming fall season impacting college Rugby, Cross Country and Golf. While not a shock, hearing that it is a fait accompli still smacks you upside the head. 

Georgian College, like so many other post secondary institutions, had already announced that it will offer many of its wide array of courses in on-line delivery, coming this fall. That potentially created an issue for our Rugby management group, with respect to players. A number had contacted us saying that they were thinking of deferring their education for a year because they were not endeared to cyber-learning. Would we have enough players to actually field a team? 

Well, that's not a relevant issue any more.

After last season's loss in the OCAA championship, I was convinced that I would step away from coaching to enjoy life on the opposite sideline. A series of events lured me back into the saddle, and our management group planned and prepared for the fall, energy that now proves to be wasted. I have to admit that I'm a little sad about that ... like I've lost a friend ... so a "pick me up" was in order. 

So, in this time of Social Distancing, how do you deal with that disappointment? You have an old fashioned Irish wake, or at least our version of one, in the company of friends like John Daggett, Mike Sabourin, and Josh Morgan.

Deciding that we could still share some thoughts, some laughs, and some adult beverages all while keeping our distance, a memorable night in the glorious backyard co-coach J-Mo, enjoying his magnificent deck and gas fire pit, was had by all. No subject was off limits as this cadre of rugby fellows discussed and debated topics ranging from rugby (no duh), the future of schools, the pandemic's effects, how to manage the cancellation, and even Michael Jordan's "Last Dance". True to form, I had plenty of opinions to share on most subjects and, with apologies to J-Mo's wife Chloe and their neighbours, occasionally slipped into a coaching volume. Old dogs, people, that's where I'm at in my life. 

I had been proud of myself for planning ahead for the evening's festivities by choosing my trusty bicycle as the preferred method of transport. When the evening wound to its inevitable close, I was faced with certain balance issues that prompted the long walk home with my bicycle in tow. I am embarrassed to say that the walk was likely a good deal more steps than it would normally be thanks largely to the previously mentioned balance issues, but as coach Mike said, "It wouldn't be a proper Irish Wake unless the path home was winding." Ahh, sage wisdom from one so young. I am pleased to confirm that I arrived home safely, much to the amusement of my wife, and despite some cobwebs cluttering my thoughts the next day, I and my 56-year old physiology survived. 

The next challenge to be faced will be the conundrum of continuation. Rugby is a fringe sport in Canada, meaning there are less athletes who choose it as they're sport of choice, and taking what amounts to a year and a half off will pose certain difficulties for those of us "herding the cats". We have challenged the player Leadership Group with that very issue ... how do we maintain the momentum? Since Daggett took over, with me joining a year later, it's been 6 straight OCAA medal finishes with another being forecasted based on those who indicated they would return. Compounding this issue will be the absence of club rugby this summer, and with that, the absence of the tight-knit relationship between the Barrie Club players and our program.

So many unanswered questions. 
RIP 2020 OCAA Mens' Rugby season.
You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment