Monday 1 June 2020

The time for REAL change is now!

Spoiler Alert!
Some of what has been included in this post may be offensive to some. I am not saying that to absolve or distance myself or justify posting controversial content, but I have to admit that both of these after prompted a pause followed by some deep introspection about what I can do.

Post #1
Aaron Charbonneau posted this on his FB and I hope that he'd be okay with me furthering his informative message. If he's in any way offended, I will immediately take down the post. I did leave him a comment on his post, expressing my appreciation for the manner in which he effectively shared his thoughts. The following was written by an obviously intelligent yet passionate young man who was raised in Chatham, Ontario and has some experience in this ... but I'll let him explain.

My Racial Experience
I am Aaron, a bi-racial man born in Chatham, Ontario, Canada. I live in Kissimmee, Florida, USA. I have been struggling for days, trying to decide what I feel, how I feel, and where I stand on everything that is going on, and how best to explain it.
I appear WHITE. I am not, but I appear white. If you know me well, you will know that I come from a predominantly white side and a predominantly black side. I have an amazing family. On my mother's side, we are all mixed. Black, white, brown, and every shade in between. I am not the “whitest” and certainly not the “blackest”. As a kid I had never considered there to be a racial bias in my family, we were all one great family. But now, as I’m sitting here considering white privilege and how it directly affected me, these are my thoughts:
•On the bus from Blenheim to Chatham for school, I remember one of the kids finding out that my mother’s side of the family was black. I earned my bus nickname: Nig-let. I appear white, yet now I understood, I was not.
•I distinctly remember my cousins in fear of traveling, and questioning me how they treat black people when where we were. I have traveled across the world and in each place it was a different situation, I had never really considered it. I appear white, I don’t really have to worry about that.
•If I don’t gel my hair, someone will comment and say, “You’ve got a fro!” I’m very proud of my hair, i love that it just keeps growing upwards. But yesterday I got my hair cut. I didn’t do it intentionally, but one has to question if I did this to appear less mixed. Did I want to appear white?
All of my experiences growing up are so much different than those of my family, who appear black. I’m frustrated but I realize that this is the white privilege everyone is talking about. I have never been pulled over in my car and felt worried that this police officer could see me in any other way than a white male, possibly speeding. In fact as soon as the lights flash behind me, I pull over, and reach into the glove box for the registration, then I grab my wallet, out of my back pocket for my license… I wonder how this would differ if I didn’t appear white.
This all brings me to the present.
Firstly, what happened to George Floyd was wrong. In every way, it was murder. Whether the cop was white or not, an habitual offender or not, a racist or not. He murdered George Floyd. Secondly, the officers that chose to do nothing, are just as responsible. Full stop.
A couple comments that I have read that absolutely angered me:
“If I were the one filming, I would have tackled him off George Floyd.” No, you wouldn’t. Consider the fact that the girl who took the video is a 17 year old black girl. Charging a police officer, tackling him off a suspect during an active arrest is an assault on a Police Officer. There were also at least 4 other police officers, although I assume more, that were there to stop that from happening. You would not have tackled him.
“I understand they’re upset and mad, but they have no right or reason to destroy a city.” Have YOU ever been so frustrated or mad that you couldn’t contain it? Maybe a hole in the wall, ripped a pillow in half, maybe punched the person in the face who called you some name you didn’t like? Imagine the rage you’d feel if you knew that it could have been you that was killed. Imagine the anger you’d feel if your child was begging for their life from the one person who should be there to protect them. Now contain that rage, and act politely and go sit down and have a civilized conversation with that person you cannot reason with. I can’t imagine either, because I appear white. That said, if you do these things, even out of rage, you deserve to be held accountable. That is exactly what you are protesting, that everyone is responsible and should be held accountable and prosecuted for their crimes. Citizens and Police. Even you.
“If you don’t post about this issue, as a white person, your’e contributing to the racism and you must be racist.” Not necessarily. Maybe you’re as confused as I am. You cannot comprehend that people are out there that would actively want to hurt others. You have the right to remain silent, because you can. But just understand that people want to hear your voice. I know many of my friends will have a tough time reading this. I know I have friends who are not actively racist, but stand on the side that Kapernick’s knee was foolish, that black people are not discriminated against and that’s a media spin, that all police officers are good people. You appear white, and that’s ok. Just understand what is happening and ask questions, educate yourself.
“Not every police officer is bad.” Correct. Just as there are bad doctors, pilots, priests, teachers, parents, etc. The good need to stand up to the bad. In all facets of life the bad cannot be left unchecked. I know all of my police friends will agree with me on that as I’m sure they’re as disgusted as I am with the conduct of this former officer who killed George Floyd. The issue is that they, the good, must now earn the trust of an entire population, again. They are the symbol, unfortunately, of the negative side of this battle. Support them, the good police officers, who are out there today trying to do their job as best they can to repair the trust that a few idiots have decided to throw away.
In closing, if you decide that you cannot be a friend of mine because of my beliefs, ideas, or thoughts, that’s completely fine. I respect your decision. I am completely open as well to hear you out. These are my opinions, based on my life experiences and my family history. I don’t believe everything I read, and I don’t pretend to know the whole story ever. I’m here for enlightenment, education and welcome any opposing ideologies or comments. Just remember to keep them respectful and honest. And to anyone hurting right now, I'm sorry.
Aa
PS. If you’re looking for something interesting to read, look into the history of Chatham-Kent, Ontario, Canada. It is the terminus of the Underground Railroad, the final landing point of many escaped slaves headed north, equally as terrifying and fascinating a story as one could imagine.

Thank you Aaron!
It is difficult to for those raised under privileged circumstances to understand to plight of those not. For my own part, I try very hard to live a life that has no place in it for racism. I completely support your notion that this boils down to educating ourselves and consciously making an attitudinal change.

Post #2
Dwayne Casey is a highly respected NBA coach who's impact on Toronto will be remembered for years, thanks to his tieless efforts as the Raptors head coach. Besides his obvious success, Casey is extremely well spoken, intelligent and caring. Being a prominent black man, navigating this world during these turbulent times, he is a beacon for others to follow and his words, while raw, hold great meaning.

54 years ago, I was an 8-year-old boy living in rural Kentucky when schools were desegregated. I walked into a white school where I was not wanted nor welcomed. At that time there were no cell phones to record my treatment, no cable news stations with 24/7 coverage, no social media to record the reality of the situation or offer support nor condemnation. But I can remember exactly how I felt as an 8-year-old child. I felt helpless. I felt as if I was neither seen, nor heard, nor understood. As I watched the events unfold in the days following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, a city were I coached and once called home, I see how many people continue to feel those same feelings - helpless, frustrated, invisible, angry.

I understand the outrage because it seems the list continues to grow: Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd. The injustices continue to mount and nothing seems to be changing.

54 years later, my son is now 8 years old and I look at the the world he is growing up in and wonder, how much has really changed? How often is he judged on sight? Is he growing up in a world where he is seen, and heard, and understood? Does he feel helpless? Will he be treated like George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery? What have we really done in the last 54 years to make his 8-year-old world better than mine was? We all have to be a do better.

We have to change the way we see and hear each other. We have to work together to find solutions to make the justice system just. Black, white and brown people have to work together to find new answers. The only way we can stop the systemic problems that people of colour have faced all our lives is through honesty and transparency. We have to understand why people are at their limit at this moment. It takes empathy, in its truest form. It takes a culture shift. It takes action. Let's stop the injustice now. Let's not allow another generation to continue to live in a world where they are treated as unequal. Now is the time for real change.

Thank you Coach Casey!
Speaking out in these emotion charged times, with words dripping with empathy and caring, brings deeper understanding to these protests. I vow to keep this in my daily actions until true change is realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment