Tuesday 16 June 2020

#randomactsofcanadian

So many around the globe are envious of Canada. The natural beauty, the resources, and the variety of terrain aside, the people of Canada are respected across the globe for their generosity and compassion. There are millions of examples but each and every day I am reminded of why I am so proud to be a citizen. RBC has launched a web site called Random Acts of Canadian, hence the hashtag title, and I thought this was a shareable story.

Here's the story about my recent experience.

I was traversing the country roadways of Oro-Medonte, enjoying the brilliant sunshine, the summer-like temperatures, the picturesque rural countryside, and the oh so familiar anaerobic burn from pushing myself to the edge of my comfort level, when a curious sound began to emanate from my front wheel, 30 kms into a 40 km ride. Pulling over to the safety of the sandy shoulder, I quickly surmised that I had joined another biking club ... the You've-Been-Stranded-By-A-Flat one. 

The backstory on this particular escapade is noteworthy. Despite the wonderful weather, I had not been able to take advantage for a decent ride so I was itching to get out and about. I decided that I needed a jolt of cardio so I went out the Simcoe County Rail Trail to OM's 11th line, north to East Oro, and headed back toward Barrie on the 15/16 side road with the intention of heading back to the waterfront via OM's 3rd line. It was about a kilometre from highway 11 when, for some yet unknown reason, my front tube gave up the ghost. 

I settled myself into the potential of a long walk home, but upon reaching the crest of the hill to the overpass, I happened upon the old Hilltop Storage buildings. There was a man working out front, jockeying around some classic cars, so I decided to see if he had a pump I could borrow. I have to admit that I was a little anxious given the climate that we are in, and it became apparent that he felt the same, judging by his hesitant body language. The conversation went a COMPLETELY different route than I had anticipated!

When I recounted my issue, he stopped briefly, sized me up, scratched his chin, and then replied, "Well, who knows if your tire will make it all the way back to Barrie, so I guess the better choice is to throw your bike in the back of my pick up and I'll drive you home. I'm in the middle of something, but give me 5 minutes and we'll get you home." I was dumbfounded that he would even offer, and despite my immediate refusal for not wishing to put him out, he became more convinced it was the right decision.

Doug, as I would later find out, was the owner of the storage facility that sits right at the overpass on line 3. I had always seen the signs for Hilltop Storage as I travelled south on highway 11 but I found out that the name had changed to Jodie Storage. Doug asked a friend, who I would later find out was named Bonnie, to drive me. Considering the pandemic, I offered to pull my shirt up over my face but she was having none of that saying, "We'll be fine. You seem like a really nice guy so I'm sure you'd say something if you were concerned."

In the end, we had a nice visit on the ride back to Barrie. Bonnie would not take any money for gas so I offered to give Jodie Storage a shout out on Social Media. That's when I found out about the name change and the owner's name. If you have storage needs in the Oro-Medonte area, give Doug a holler or visit his web site at https://www.jodiegroup.com/ or email at dbevan@jodiestorage.com.

Life is Good ... But Doug and Bonnie are better!

No comments:

Post a Comment