Sunday 7 June 2020

Parenting fringe benefits

After all of the things that we do for our kids as they are learning life's ways, it's quite a nifty feeling when the tables get turned, and recently that's exactly what happened. Our son, Keaton, has chosen the life's calling of auto mechanics, so it made perfect sense that when we finally settled on reducing our personal car allotment, we pay him to fix the minor mechanical issues rather than someone else's child.

We have owned a Toyota Corolla for a while now. It was purchased used a few years ago and has primarily been Joyce's jalopy. It has been a really good car, not a fluke since it's a Toyota, but we're obviously biased. There were some minor issues like brake pads, callipers and rotors that required attention prior to selling ... CLICK HERE if you're interested. Since I am a part of the "DIY Klutz Klub", I am not the person to take a stab at something like that. That's where my Uber talented son comes in ... plus he comes with a gaggle of tools.

The hard part was finding a day that he could make the trek home to Barrie since, as an essential service during this pandemic, he has been working a ton. We could have tried to take it to his place in Guelph but kudos to him, he agreed to come home, pleasing his mother immensely. Another benefit of having a son in the Biz is he gets wholesale prices for parts. Although it's not much of a difference, every little bit I save is better in my pocket than someone else's, which pleased me immensely. 

We've reached that stage in life, much like the famous Harry Chapin diddy "Cats in the Cradle", where we'd love to spend more time with our adult children because we finally have time, but they are wrapped up in living their own lives and are being pulled in different directions. This visit would be a day trip, but at least we got to share a meal ... burgers ... there's not much better than BBQ burgers, IMHO.

None of this a complaint, just a fact of life, not unlike the song ... 
"He's grown up just like me, though. My boy is just like me."

I am please to report that:
All was repaired quickly and properly,
I learned a thing or two from my son,
We enjoyed a lovely visit,
The burgers were most delicious,
There were smiles all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment